MS20 cam vs. RSPIR cam testing

Possum

Reaction score
I did a test this past week.  The first camera was a OWL with RSPIR.  Sides were taped 3/4" on each side.  It has a re-triggerable timer timing at about 1minute 37 s.  Mounted it about 2ft off the ground facing accrossn a road about 15-20ft wide.  The woods are pine about 20yrs old standing about 25ft high.  The cam gets full sun around midday.  I had no false pics with this cam and no day pics except for a hog.  I noticed a great reduction in the sensitivity of the PIR as the temp rose.  (90-95 degrees)  The second week I put a MS20 sensor with an OWL camera on the same tree.  I had 20 pics with two of the 20 blank.  One of the blanks happened two minutes before I reached the camera.  I know this because I let the cam take a pic of me when I reached it.  I will disregard this pic and believe an animal heard my truck coming and ran across the sensor path getting out of the frame quickly.  
My ideas on the two sensors are that the RSPIR will give less falsing but may not capture all activity before it.  The MS20 on the other hand may have a few false pics but will usually get anything that crosses it's path.    The RSPIR cam never did have many day pics (2 in 30pics) and I thought I was missing some action.  The MS20 had many more day pics.  This is NOT an objective test.  It is very subjective to the elements and I DO NOT want to start a discussion about pros and cons of both.  I just want to tell what I found out with similar conditions for both cameras.  I believe they both are great cams and placement has a lot to do with the satisfaction derived from each.  By the way, can anyone identify this critter?  Possum or rat?      

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=614

(Edited by Possum at 10:53 pm on Sep. 5, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Possum - I had exactly the same conclusion when I compared the MS20's high number of false pictures to the RS PIR's slow response.    

Possum

Reaction score
Great!  What about the critter?  Any ideas?  If it's a rat I'm going to make sure I don't eat cheese crackers before a hunt.:hair-raisin:

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
LOOKS LIKE WE CALL BIG WHARF RATS HERE IN ARKANSAS.  SOME GET NEARLY AS BIG AS A POSSUM!

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy Possum,

no offense but the critter is definately what is refered to as a ''Blackjack'' possum around here...lol

it looks to be about 20 feet or further from the camera when it snapped it's pic which makes it look smaller

dogs treed a many of them when out coon hunting, they seem to be a bit meaner than your average possum too as they will not sull up as easily.

Later,

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Possum, I think the pix is one of your relatives but hard to be sure

also, as you probably know I LOVE tests like you made,  If you got a safe place and can afford the Time Not in the Woods, try placing both cam's on the same tree simultaniously and see what happens, I'd like to see the results

I'm unclear about what you meant on this test, regarding the MS20, quote "I had 20 pics with two of the 20 blank.  One of the blanks happened two minutes before......"  Does this mean you had 18 animals and 2 pix's without animals?   just curios

Thanx

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
Tinhorn, I meant that two were actually just pics of the woods in front of the cam with no discernable critters.  18 had pics of animals.  Both empty pics were around 3:30pm in the afternoon and both on a rainy day.  I would guess maybe something blew down in front of the PIR?  Hey, with pics like these I'll blame it on birds.  Check out the fawn pics:

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=612

(Edited by Possum at 7:57 am on Sep. 6, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx Possum, for your reply

That's quite a difference between the RS and MS20 PIRs, the RS didn't have any False Alarms alright but it also had no daytime pix's either and the MS20 had 2 false alarms but took 20 pixs with 18 creatures visible.......Hmmmmmmmm,  kind of makes you think huh

That Fawn Pix sure has good color.  I've been reading that Pro Photo'grs like to put the subject off center by about a 3rd (never center the subject), suppose to be more interesting that way.  Maybe why that pix looks so good.

I noticed the date/time stamp isn't visible, wonder how close to 3:30 (the false alarm pix's times) this pix was?  That Bright Grassy area at the bottom of the pix had to be close to giving a False Alarm I think.

Nice Job

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
Tinhorn, that pic of the fawn was at 1:09 pm in the afternoon.  I guess fawns eat corn??I've been watching this fawn for about 4 weeks now and this is the first set of pics I have taken.  His mama is real spooky.  She will come out and snort for the heck of it and then go and start feeding.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom