MS20 Elk Pics

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Awww!  you can't fool me!  thats a Post Card you bought and superimposed the date stamp on!  :E

WOW! ! ! - way to good - Good one, er a, good three

Tinhorn

Fubar

Reaction score
Richard  Great pic! Saving the others on that roll for the pic contest?         Fubar

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Richard,

That picture is awesome. Here in Va. we are starting to hear rumors that the elk are starting to repopulate due to surrounding states reintroducing them into their national parks. I can't imagine what I would do if I saw something that massive while hunting for whitetails. Thanks for sharing that picture.

Dave

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Fubar - It takes a lot of patients to get a grazing bull elk to move in front of a camera sitting on a redwood stump. Needless to say, this one will be my "Best Buck" or "Bull" entree.  The fence hole picture is my "Best Camera Angle" entree. Did you notice that both pictures were taken with the same camera? Study the blacked out edges on both sides with the flash only lighting up the center. Pretty tricky! But, I'll probably be out hunting when it comes time to enter the pics.

Thanks guys

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
first elk pics I think we've had posted here Richard. Are those Rocky Mountain, Tule or Roosevelt elk?

Most excellent. High five. Low five, and secret handshake on this one.

wapiti

Reaction score
Great pics Richard!  I put out my cam in elk country yesterday.  Are those in a national park or area that gets hunted?

I'd guess that those might be Roosevelt elk?

gizz

Reaction score
Very Nice Elk Pics! I'm going elk hunting for the first time this year in Colorado. Don't know a lot about the different species but sure would be nice to get an opportunity at something like this.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jesse & wapiti - I was fly fishing for steelhead on the Klamath, so I guess we have to call them the "Klamath Roosevelt Elk" This is the busy season for the Klamath, and there were quite a few campers driving around looking for elk. Most of that land belongs to the Yurok Indian Tribe, but some is State Park & National Park with some private land.

I had 3 cams set out, and have a few pictures on each cam. There is more to come, because it would be a waste of film to developed all three rolls at this time. I knew that the picture posted was good, because I watched the elk pass in front of the cam while grazing. These animals behave more like cattle than deer, and it would be suicide to get that close to them for a picture.

I learned a lot about elk on that trip. There was a large herd of nothing but bulls bedded down in a creek bed. I could see the monster antlers sticking up. I put out 3 cams, one on a fence post pointed at a black berry patch, and two on redwood stumps facing the meadow. As soon as the sun set the smaller bulls headed for the berry patch, and the large bulls headed for the meadow. One bull was a loner, and headed off in his own direction. There was a lot of in-fighting between the bulls, and that would have been a good time to move in close enough for a shot if I had my elk permit.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
wapiti - Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about hunting. There were 30 Klamath Either-sex Elk Permits issued, and the season is September 5th - 14th. With only 332 applicants the chances are good, but getting permission from the timber company is another question. Out here the logging trucks drive fast down their private roads, and it's your responsibility to get out of the way. That's probably why there were only 332 applicants.

Top Bottom