MS20 Inside of Box

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I would like to mount my MS20 inside of my Pelican 1120 but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Should I flatten the fresnal lens and mount the PIR somehow or should I just keep it in it's origional housing and mount inside the box like that? My main reason for doing this is so that it's not as noticable.

Thanks.

davered1

Reaction score
CFB,

I butcher up my original housing by trimming it down so it fits into a electrical box(plug)that you use when you wire a house.goop it in place with PIR just over a inch from edge of box(gives you around 50' sensing.You drill a 3/4 inch hole in the top left corner for the switch(flip from test to auto).and a 1/4 inch hole in  cover for the stereo plug.1 hole in left side for wires to come out.

You can center it perfectly in the middle then trace around box and draw lines kitty corner to find the middle of box.this is were I drill a 1" hole for the fresnal lense.I drill a 1/4 " hole about 1 1/2" left and 1+" up from center  of this hole for the LED,mark the screw holes and drill out. screw box onto door.run wires down inside 1120 drill hole for switch.

heres a couple pictures to help show what I mean.I don't use that type of 4C cell holder anymore.I use the flat 4 holder and half of it goes under camera half doesn't.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I take a couple of 1 inch nylon spacers and drill out the existing holes on the ms20 circuit board and mount the board to the spaces with nylon screws.  I then flatten and glue the frensnel lens over a 3/4 to 1 inch hole(depending on the camera).  I drill a couple of holes in the housing and bolt the nylon spacers to the housing with nylon screws.  If you need any further help, I can try to post some pics or email them to you.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Here is how I do a lot of mine.  I use the single gang shallow depth electrical outlet box.  It has a depth of 1.1" and the ms20 fits great.  By mounting it flat in the botton the distance works out perfectI rough up the sides a bit and use hot glue.  Even in a freezer test you can't get it to come loose.  you have to cut it loose with a knife.  I mount my timer boards in another box and mount one to the lid and one to the back of the box by drilling through the box and using screws in the supplied holes.  I cut a small knotch in the box and get a little strain relief on the wired by keepint the knotch the right size.  I also make a little shelf and rivit it to the box that holds the timer board.  the camera sits on the shelf after mounting the box.  you can also cut a small slot through the box with the ms20 and allow the slide switch to stick out.  Mount the led through the lid inside the ms20 box and put a little shrink wrap on the whole bundle between the two.   Its really simple, cheap, and works great.  you also get a subassembly that you can test and prebuild.

bat

Reaction score
Boy you guys are goooooooooooood!
Great looking camera setup dave.  
Anyone......On the MS20 PIR, I think I have seen something on here before about this but can't remember.  Do you buy the MS20 replacement PIR or do you get the complete unit with the light etc.?  I "think" I remember reading that the replacement "would not" work, straighen me out on this!  I would like to try one just to see how they do, thanks, bat

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The one with the lights.  make sure it says ms20 on the back of the box (on the bar code I think)

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
AEH I bought that same electrical box that you use except the one that I bought had that "shelf" on it. I had to trim ~1/2" off of each side of the shelf and it fits nice and snug inside the Pelican.  When I saw that some had this and some didn't, I thought that it would be nice to have to sit the cam on.

bat

Reaction score
Thanks AEH, I'm off to WW.  bat

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Or WM2 on the back of the box. The Wal-Marts around here all have them as Mainstay WM2 which I understand is the exact same thing as the MS20, just new package.

davered1

Reaction score
AEH,

I have been looking for a shallow box like that forever. Can only get the deep ones, BUT I can fit a small timer board like brians or joed's (if I leave the 5V relay on ms20 board) behind the ms20, so it works out allright. Unfortunatley you cant get at them easilly if something goes haywire!!

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Bat,  Bob is right,  I'm living in the past again

Davred1,

The only place i have been able to find the "clean - nice smooth exterior" is at home depot.  The cost 0.$69 each.  If you want to mess with some just let me know.  your canadian shipping may make that unreasonable.  my new boards will fit sideways against the side with room for the ms20 as well.  Then you have more wires bending though so I just mount them seperate.  

bat

Reaction score
Darn Bob you was 10 minutes late or I was 10 minutes early lol.  They had some Mainstays but didn't check the number because I was looking for the MS20s.  I'll be going to another town probably tomorrow night so I'll check for both of them there.  The Mainstays they had were still in the $9-10 range so I wanted to check the other store anyway.  Thanks again....bat

(Edited by bat at 11:04 pm on June 6, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
AEH,

Shipping would make it unreasonable but thanks I will keep looking here SOMEONE must have them!!!

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
I must say, some of you all do really nice looking work!!! I'm happy when mine just WORK!!! You've all given me something to think about the next time I build another camera....see how neat I make it look.

Carry On the great work you all!!

gtk

Reaction score
daverd1...

do you still have those pics of how you mount the ms20 ?

thanks.....

Greg

davered1

Reaction score
GTK,

heres how I do it. Timer board (joed, if there is one, doesn't have to be) is on back of housing which is trimmed down to fit in the box.I now run optocouplers instead of the 5V relay.

LED is on the right hand side of box. I just drill a 1/4 " hole in door and stick it out through there with a holder.

Cam connection is top left corner 1/4 hole and a stereo plug/jack from RS.
All wires come out side you want the switch on through a 1/4  hole.

Works flawlessly

youngtrout

Reaction score
Hey Arkansas Elk Hunter,,,,        I was wondring what type of a connector you are using for your camera?,    it looks pretty slick       Youngtrout

Top Bottom