MS20 Question

robNhood

Reaction score
It' s been quite some time since I built my last cam and I have used the MS20 on all 4.

Can we still buy the MS20 at Wal-Mart? Or are we just using the RS pir?

I have one more PF to put to use and haven't tried the RS yet.

(Edited by robNhood at 4:58 pm on Aug. 4, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
robNhood - You can still get it at Wal-Mart under a new name. There sold under the name of Mainstays home and are packaged in a green&yellow box. On the bottom of the box near the UPC the model is WM2. Still $8.94 ea

robNhood

Reaction score
Thanks Gizz. Like I mentioned, it's been some time since I built my cams and think I will stick with the MS20.

gizz

Reaction score
RobNhood - Just to clarify - These are MS20's exactly, just being sold under a diff name now. I wasn't sure by your reply whether you understood my first post or not. :smile-blue

robNhood

Reaction score
I'm with ya! My second post was a bit confusing.

Thanks again

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
Is anyone having trouble with the MS20's not firing past 5 yds in high temps?

2 of the 3 cams I've made are acting like they don't like hot weather.

buckman0

Reaction score
i was in wally world the other day they marked thr regent motion light sensor down again to $5.00

Matt in MO

Reaction score
What voltages are you guys running the MS20 at now? Do you still have to use a fairly large battery? The only reason I used the RS PIR was for the 9v transistor battery - thus small packaging.

gantley

Reaction score
Well I tried to run mine off a 6 VDC with no luck at all.  But the 12 VDC tested okay.  I think I will check at Wallllll-Mart for a 12 in the kid section where the powered cars are.  

robNhood

Reaction score
I'm using the Powersonic 12 volt battery. I lasts a long time and holds up really well in extreme cold weather.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
MATT
I USE 3 9VOLTS WIRED IN PARALLEL ALL BLACK WIRES TOGETHER AND ALL RED TOGETHER W ALL MY MS20S W/9VOLT RELAYS OF COURSE AND I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO LEAVE THEM IN THE WOODS FOR 4 WEEKS AT A TIME W NO PROBLEMS W/BATTERIES.  SURE BEATS THOSE BIG OLD 6VOLTS AND 12 VOLTS.  JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Possum

Reaction score
The instructions on the modification of the MS20 are as follows:
"DO NOT plug this board into 120 vac while you have it out or at any time, you can be shocked by the voltage. To modify the circuit board to run off 5 vdc to 14 vdc instead of 120 vac you need to cut R3 out or just break the connection as shown in the diagram".  
The question is I used a 9 volt relay and battery, but I forgot to take the R3 resistor out.  The cam works great.  Why are we taking the R3 out?  What do we gain?  Do I need to go back in and take this resistor out?

(Edited by Possum at 10:11 am on Aug. 17, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The DC voltage that is created from 120 vac goes thru R3 to the MS20's DC voltage regulator.

We tap into the Downstream side of R3 and by opening R3, no Batt Volts can leak "backwards" into the AC portion of the Circuit, which is no longer needed.

The only thing this might hurt is Battery Life.  I don't remember what that AC part of the circuit contains now and leakage may not be a problem.

If your Batt'y Life seems ok, don't worry about removing R3 but next time.......

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn, I knew I could count on you.  You guys have been so helpful.  This is my second cam.  The first was a RS PIR.  I had these two MS20's  from Wal Mart (like $5.00) so I had to use them.  I pulled the R25 resistor out and replaced it with two wires running to a DPDT switch with different resistor values on it.  Now I can switch between 4 sec "test" mode, 30 sec Auto mode, and 1 minute auto mode delays.  Could not have done it without the help from the members of this forum.  This one only took 4 hours from start to finish.  The last took 4 days.  Thanks again.

(Edited by Possum at 10:47 am on Aug. 17, 2001)

kerux

Reaction score
I was looking at Tinhorn's picture of the MS20 modifications, and wanted to know... do you HAVE to remove all that stuff?  Or is it an option, and done simply because that stuff is not being used?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm assuming your going to use a timer, how were you going to connect it's trigger to the PIR?

You'd need to remove the relay to keep it from wasting batt juice when the PIR triggered and R3,  removing it prevents any batt volts from getting to the not-needed-components which might draw some current and run batts down faster

also, I'd remove the light sensor (R22 was it) if you think you'll be using AUTO Mode, altho it's not calibrated for any voltage less than 24 (like our batt voltage) and probably would never shutdown the PIR, I'd still remove it.  You can snip it and R3 off with dikes

Tinhorn

kerux

Reaction score
I am not using a timer... not sure what you use the time for yet as I am new to this.  But if I understand you correctly, I still need to take that stuff off to prevent draw off my battery?

davered1

Reaction score
Nope, cutting 1 side of R3 disables all the stuff removed in tinhorns mods.you can leave it all on there(except the relay). removing it gives you room to put other stuff if you need it.

timers are used for different time delays between pictures, you can get a 10 second and 1.5 min delay off of the MS20 by just changing R26 to 220k. Only problem is that these time delays can be reset if MS20 sees movement before alloted time is up. In other words your 10 second delay turns into 19 seconds if a deer trips it then moves 9 seconds after.

(Edited by davered1 at 11:29 am on Aug. 16, 2002)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom