MS20 White Shield/Guide

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
The first 2 cams that I made with the MS20 I used the white shield/guide that came mounted onto it. Figured I would just use it as it would help protect the sensor and board somewhat.

The next 2 cams that I wired up I played around with them a bit as I was testing them out. I put the sensors back in the origional housing but out of curiosity I only put a white shield on one of them to see if it made any difference as far as sensitivity. I put the housings one on top of the other and positioned them exactly the same and walked out to various distances crossing in front of the sensors. I was surprised to see that the one "without" the white shield would always picked up movement first and also got more range(~10'). Wondering if the sensor itself was just more sensitive than the other, I then removed the white shield from the one sensor and put it in the other. Again, the sensor without the white shield appeared to be more sensitive than the other one as far as being the first one to pick up movement and getting the furthest distance. Does this make sense?

I'm wondering if I should be using the white shield or not? I "can" see where cutting down on the sensitivity could be a good thing though. If this is a correct observation, by using the white shield, thus reducing sensitivity, it may reduce the number false pics. I'm debating on whether I should remove the shields from my cams or keep them on but I wanted to hear what you guys do with yours first.

(Edited by Cabin Fever Bob at 4:27 am on Aug. 16, 2002)

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I think it was designed to help reduce false triggers when the sun shines on the fresnel lens. The white plastic won't heat up as much in sunlight as the exposed circuit board, thus causing less false triggers. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember someone else saying the same thing. I don't use them in my cams. It's interesting that it could effect detection distance, I wouldn't have thought that.

(Edited by coyotebandit at 7:39 am on Aug. 16, 2002)

kmitch

Reaction score
I've tried it both ways. Where I've used the white shield the camera seems much less suceptible to false triggers. I'm using it from now on.

Keith

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The manufacturer spent money for them for some reason and I don't know what it is for sure

but it might be to keep the direct sunlight from getting on the electronics and causing them to run hot.  Heat destroys electronic things........I always put them back, like I said, they spent $$$ for some reason

I also lay the movement cams face down on my car seat so Mr Sun can't shine directly on the PIR, ever use a magnifying lens to burn your sister's arm!   over time, it mite cause problems

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Yeah... 'specially when your sister gets PO'd and whacks you upside the head! }8-()
OUCH!

gtk

Reaction score
r u speaking from experience arch ?   :smile-big-blue:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom