ms20

Possum

Reaction score
I know we've been down this road before, but I am starting a new cam tonight and have two MS20's in the garage.  I used a RS PIR the last go around.  My 9 volt RS lasts a pretty good while 2 weeks or more.  How long will the MS20 last and will I get a longer time proportionately if I wire two together?  Will I get 7 days - 10 days?  The cam page said like 5 days or 10 pictures.  Did I read this the wrong way.  This is strictly the PIR not any timers or other power consuming items.
I forgot to say I am using the 9 volt relay.  Would 12 volt last way longer?

(Edited by Possum at 2:53 pm on Aug. 16, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Possum - I used the MS20 for a month powered by a battery bank of 6 ea "D" size batteries (9 Volts), and didn't notice a voltage drop in the batteries. The biggest problem with the MS20 is that it's too powerful, and it sees too much. I would recommend taping off the sides, and the bottom roll of the fresnal lens. During the month of use I got a big pile of false trigger pictures, while the RS 49-425 was steady. One note on the batteries is that the MS20 has a 5 volt voltage regulator, so everything above that voltage is wasted. In other words, a bank of 4 "D" Sized Batteries (6 Volts) would last as long as the 9 volt bank. (the 2 extra batteries only create heat in the voltage regulator) I couldn't find a 6 volt relay that the MS20 liked, or I would be using it with a lantern battery.

Possum

Reaction score
Thanks Richard for the quick response.  I am building a unit as we speak.  Got the relay working with a 9 volt relay.  I think I will use the 9 volt now and switch it out later if I don't like it.  Thanks for all the help guys!  Will let you know how this one turns out.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Where do i look for them,i looked at Wally World but dont see them,Tinhorn have you found them anywhere around here?

Bob R

Reaction score
Wal Mart is now getting them with their own name on them.  They are called Mainstay (I think) and the model is WM2.  They were located with all of the other motion sensor type lights.  I just finished one yesterday, and they are the Regent/Cooper MS20 with a different box.  They were $8.94 here in Arkansas.

horndog

Reaction score
hey Bob, did that board have a number printed on it? I bought one and could not find the model # on the box or the board. I did find a reagent sensor in an enclosed plactis package at the local wally-world and picked it up also. I guess I can use the mainstay sensor I bought and put it on the reagent unit that I have on my house.....that way I will have an extra for another cam and don't have to mess with trying to figure out the new mainstay board.

Bob R

Reaction score
I really didn't notice if it had a number on it or not.  It is the regent board, though.  Their name is on the inside.  I replaced the relay, clipped the resistor, added the wire and it is working like a charm.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Thanx for the info,ill look for the mainstay and try it out. they are just plain cheaper and have more range than the RS sensor.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I found 2 Regent  MS20's at walmart,but i found a shelf full of the Mainstays the part # on the bottom of the box was 125-3754 with the model # i believe to be WM2,they look exactly alike.
 Im wondering if the WM stands for Wal Mart.

davered1

Reaction score
WAL MART Canada must have bought them all.I was in Calgary wal-mart last week and they had about 100 regent MS20's with light fixture for 12$(8$ U.S.)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
PassThru

Sorry to be so slow to respond, I was in your neck of the woods (actually closer to Newburg) on a 3 day Bowhunt.  We found a farm over there to hunt on

but, I would have told you I just bought 3 of the MainStays (WM2) over at Salem WM last week and they have plenty on the shelf.

See Ya!

Tinhorn

passgas55

Reaction score
In the auto position I have about a 2 min. off delay.
I would like to increase that off delay to 10 to 15 min. What resistor/cap. do I have to change on the MS20 board to get a longer off delay? Thanks....

passgas55

Reaction score
never mind, gee it is amazing if you open your eyes a little, you might find what you are looking for.(How to MS20)THANKS ANYWAY

coyotehunters

Reaction score
What size hole is everyone using when you mount your ms20 inside the housing and how do you position the fresnal lense.I notice all the different patterns on the lense and was wondering which portion of that should be used.

davered1

Reaction score
I used a 1 inch hole on mine. It seems to be a little big for the older style owl(little faster reaction) I will try a 3/4 for the next cam.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't remove my Fresnel Lens from the MS20 but saw off the overhanging "Hood" and dab some Goop Glue to the top and bottom and have it "Look Out" a 1 7/8" dia hole in my enclosure.  I then pack Rope Caulking around the hole till it's filled up the gap left from the roundness of the PIR.

This rope caulking closed down the hole to about an inch or 1 1/8" or so....Wally World sells some Craft Paint for $1 a bottle, I match the color to my camo....

Here's a pix and drawing

http://www.nightowl.net/~tinhorn/HoleInfo.jpg

Tinhorn

wolf

Reaction score
I just noticed I have my fresnal lense glued into my housing upside down from the way that it came from the factory"long bars on the bottom". Has anyone else done this .I havent had a chance to set it up and test it yet. Will it work this way or do I need to remove it and turn it around.

wfontjr

Reaction score
check the sensitivity out, generally though the narrow slots are for long distance and the wider slots for up close

Tinhorn

Reaction score
wfontjr is right about the slots

I think it'll be ok the way it is,

but, not 100% sure.  The problem maybe small animals low to the ground mite be missed.  When the Lens is put in the rite way, the smallest row kind of looks down and will pick up small animals better.

(I think)

Tinhorn

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I GLUED A 3/4" PVC PIPE CPLG TO THE FACE OF MY FRESNAL LENSE AND WAS PLANNING ON MOUNTING THE EDGE OF THE CPLG FLUSH WITH THE HOUSING SO THA T THE PIR WAS LOOKING DOWN THE CLPG ABOUT AN INCH AND A HALF.I WAS HOPING THAT THIS WOULD ELIMANATE SOME OF THE FALSE PICTURES. HAS ANYONE ELSE TRIED THIS

Top Bottom