MS20C PIR help required

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I assembled the MS20C PIR per the instructions on the page.
I hooked up the battery 9.6v panasonic and I let some smoke out :).

First I had one of the trace's smoke and I re soldered it, then I put the battery on it again and another trace smoked. Too large an area to re-solder.

Anything I might be doing wrong? Have you experienced anything like it? A guy I work with thought there was a short somewhere.

The instructions call for relay PN RS275-005, I could only find 275-005A which is a SPDT, your instructions say to use a SPST.

Do you think it might just have been a bad PIR board?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Arrowhead,
Very not good to let magic smoke out of a circuit - makes it stop working ;)
>>>
To have enough current flowing to actually burn off a trace on the board means there MUST be a short somewhere.  Re-check all the wiring (perticularly the polarity of the diode at the relay coil).  Check that this diode is not failed shorted.  Hopefully the sensor circuit has not been destroyed.  The possibility of a bum sensor from the factory always exists, but even the cheapest factories test their products for gross failures such as this.

Good Luck,
Archilochus

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
arrowhead
that relay is fine i use it w/all of mine no problems.  it is a 9v spdt relay it works great.

wfontjr

Reaction score
the 005a and 005 relay are the same, radio shack adds an "a" on the inventory, make sure the polarity is right on the battery, i once hooked a 12v battery backwards on the ms20 and fried the circuit, had to throw it away and start with a new one

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll check it out tomorrow at work.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

It was two bad diodes. I had bought another MS20PIR and wired it and it's ready to go.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom