Mt. Quail or grouse reports

quailman

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck yet on mountain quail or grouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbv

Reaction score
no dice.

went out once up north, just couldnt get into them.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Had some big fat damn near chicken sized up in D14, good size coveys

quailman

Reaction score
Way to go Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingshooter-kj

Reaction score
I've never hunted grouse wanted to get out and try but I think I'm a little late this season?

sean english

Reaction score
Looked for them this past weekend. Saw about 3 MQ. No grouse. Nothing to write home about.

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Thanks Quailman. BTW to those new to grouse hunting.

Grouse hunting is not permitted south of the Tulare-Kern County line.

Good luck all.

shoottime

Reaction score
Those Blue grouse (aka sooty) are the best eating bird I've ever had. You have to give them a boot to get them airborne though! Well worth it to hunt!

x EnVieD x

Reaction score
Never tried grouse hunting. Are you allowed to hunt them in D 14 area? Also, are there any up in that area?

Alpine hunter

Reaction score
been out 3 times this year and saw one grouse twice in the same dayy. Ended up being one lucky bird. :) I noticed the usual areas I find them feeding in on berries have no berries or leaves on them. Leads me to believe they were in the trees watching me and the dog walk by. The troubling thing for me is the lack of mountain quail I have seen this year. Gonna hit it again this weekend at least the dog is getting in shape for chukar season.

Alexanty

Reaction score
Have met several hikers who swear they've seen grouse in various parts of D14 - don't know if they were mistaking MQ for grouse or what, but it has made me quite curious.

GSP4Runner

Reaction score
Congrats on the grouse!! I tried previous 2 seasons without success. Heard and saw some MQ while camping in the E Sierras in July. Going to go for both next season if we have a wet winter this year.

ck5.12

Reaction score
Hunted the Q2 opener in NE Mendocino county. Sucked... the land is parched, almost all the pines are half brown, oaks have half their canopies, many dead trees. Managed, 3 valley and 2 mountain quail over 2 days and 20+ miles on the ground. All small coveys (4-8) of holdover birds. Won't be heading out again this season in that neck of the woods.

Top Bottom