Mtn Lion Hunting

RanchRoper

Reaction score
I have heard from a few deer hunters that they have seen alot of lion tracks while out deer hunting and that the deer herds are not as big as they used to be.  A lion kills approx. 1 deer a week for food.  That is 52 deer a year per lion.  The mtn lion is one of the few animals that also kills for sport.  Who thinks that Mtn Lion hunting should be reopend in California and why?  As for me I feel it should be reopened to help perserve the deer in the high country and help control the population of the the Mtn lions.  Tell me what you think!

Fubar

Reaction score
RanchRoper  I think mountain lions should be managed by thr DFG like other animals in the State. The people, by voting, have decided to protect the mountain lions at the cost of other animals.           Fubar

MNHNTR

Reaction score
The truly uninformed people, swayed by the large money media voted for the hunt ban.  

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I found a really nice 3X3, with nice 2 inch eyeguards yesterday that appeared to be a lion kill.  It works out great when they are only killing the weak sick animals, but when they are killing strong animals it gets pretty upsetting.

Brian

huntducks

Reaction score
I did not know it was closed (hehehe) just kidding.

Whoadog they will kill anything that walks in front of them, that is like one of the old urban legends that they only kill old, sick & weak.

Just walk into a sporting goods store in the eastern Sierras and say poor kitty.

songdog

Reaction score
I found a dead one (no really, it was) last year in the foothills above Palmdale that appeared to have died of old age.  It was 5.5 feet long from the tip of the nose to where it's tail started (tail not included).  It's chest cavity was bigger around than mine and it's pads were about the same size as my outstretched hands.  I dried and measured the skull (not supposed to have them so it's out in the desert somewhere) and it scored 17 4/8.  Someone told me that you could register a find as well as an amimal that you killed.  If so, I think that this is the largest ever found in CA.

All that to say, I always thought we had 70-90lb animals down here that were overgrown bobcats.  Not the case with this guy.  He was well over 200lb live and was most impressive to see up close (if you could stand the decaying smell).

Go with quota tags just like bears and be done with it.  You'd have a lot fewer joggers getting killed...

Fubar

Reaction score
Songdog that is pretty impressive. I am not afraid of them when I am in the woods. (I have a gun). But I try to be aware that they are around. One time when I was in the Cleveland National Forest I talked to a couple of quail hunters that had one follow them for a long time. I always watch my back.        Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are way more than we ever see.  In 20+ years of hunting in SoCal, I've only ever seen one live once.  It was coming into a predator call when I was hunting bobcats out off the 91 and Coal Cyn.  It was 200 yards away and really cool to watch but that's the only one I've ever seen.

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
Songdog, I used to believe the exact same as you.  I never see them so there can't be that many.  My kids elementary school, which is .7 miles from my house here in Grass Valley, CA has seen them twice across the street from their playground.  This is a fairly populated area with alot of dogs barking night and day.  They are few, but they are no less dangerous.  If you are a deer hunter do the math.  i believe the statewide population is est. around 2000.  Multiply that by 50 deer/year and you get 100,000, which is greater than all hunter taken deer in the state.  My facts aren't science just from memory in hunting mags so correct me if I am wrong.

songdog

Reaction score
Oh I definitely believe that there are way more than I see.  I find sign all the time.  I do think that they're almost exclusively nocturnal unless they're kicked out during the day.  I've sat and glassed for 2-3 hours at a time in one spot where I see fresh sign each night but nada.  Come back first thing in the morning... there it is again.

I'm thinking about heading to ID this year to chase one with a buddy's hounds.  He says 5-6 miles up and down hills in the snow.  So don't let anyone tell you it's as easy as shooting them out of a tree.

huntducks

Reaction score
Fubar

About 5 years ago I was hunting X9A Archery along Owens river, I was in a ground blind along a deer trail when 2 young toms about 100+ lbs came along, they stalked me for about 1/2mi back to my truck moving as close as 30yards away several times, they looked like they wanted to make a move at me one time and when I turned and faced them and drew my bow, I had just put the sight pin on one and was with in a second or two from releasing when they move off a bit, we played this game for another 10min till I got back to my truck where I had a 357 loaded, I was going to shoot both, but they turned and ran about the time I came out ready to fire and put 100 yards between us real fast.

Songdog.
Back in the mid 60's my best friends brother worked for a lion & bear guide up in Santa Barbara area we use to tag along and did about 40 hunts in 5-6 years and 17 is a huge skull.

wyokid

Reaction score
Being from Wyoming I can assure the people who
are worried about killing all the lions with a hunting
season. That is impossible to do. We tried to
protect our deer and elk herds from lions, but there
is no way to keep the population down. They are
the keenest on all hunters. And are not easily
taken even with dogs. So if everyone is seeing
lions there are way to many.

Good Luck this Fall...........

ranchwife

Reaction score
I agree that California needs to have a hunt (or some other type of predator control program) for Mtn. Lions.  However, the southern part of California voted against the measure that would allow it.  Up here in Modoc county, we voted about 85% in favor of hunting them.  
California needs to take a good hard look at how Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, and Wyoming manage their deer heards and predators.  They hunt the lions and take measures to reduce the numbers of coyotes and they have thriving deer herds.  If something isn't done, we will lose our deer herds and the rights to hunt them.  But it will be difficult to convince the environmentalists and others that think they are pretty little kitties.
I remember as a little girl going for rides (in X3b) of an evening to see the deer.  I remember it got hard to count the deer once you reached triple digits.  Now it is hard to count them because they are so few and far between that you lose track between 1 and 2.

Something needs to be done.

sportyg

Reaction score
We need to have a few of those environmentalist eaten. Maybe they will see the light. We just had a new office open up down my way. That group from Az. Opened a office in Idyllwiled(not spelled correct) above Hemet in Riverside County.

songdog

Reaction score
Ranchwife,

I live in SoCal and have to agree with you.  Everyone in NorCal pretty much gets screwed by those in SoCal.  Just know that there are a few of us decent folks down here :wink-yellow:

This is just another version of the issue about drilling in the AK wildlife area for oil that everyone is up in arms about.  AK represents less than .2% of the population.  Less than 1% of the population of the lower 48 has ever been to AK but everyone in the lower 48 is all worried about destroying a wilderness area that they'll never even see except on the Discovery Channel.

Protect a lion that 99.9% of the public (even the hunting public) will never see at the cost of someone's life.

Same thing as tree huggers complaining about logging... what do they live in?  Mud huts?  

Grrr, don't get me started...

ranchwife

Reaction score
I agree totally, Songdog, about everything!  In my opinion - if it doesn't affect you directly, your opinion should not count as much.  People that live in apartment complexes or developed neighborhoods (far from wild animal habitats) don't understand the threat that the lions are to people, livestock, and wild game.  I don't like walking out of my house at night because I don't know if a lion (nevermind the 2 skunks and 4 raccoons that visit nightly) is in the yard or the field surrounding the house.  
I'm not even sure the animal rights people would change their song if a person was killed.  They are more concerned for the animal than they are for the health and safety of one of their own.  Even some animals take more care for members of their own species.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box for a while!

prohunter

Reaction score
i have to go with songdog and ranchwife. city people are just not educated on a lot of things they don't deal with. let a lion start killing there pets or worse yet hurt or kill somebody and i think they might change there mind.
        i like the one about the mud hut. isn't that the truth. it reminds me of the time Ex-president cliton came to town. he went up in our forest and signed it into a monument. it will stop all logging and so forth. what people didn't realize is that he was standing on a wood stage (built just for him), wood podium, paper (made from wood), etc.... come on! ban logging but where does all this stuff come from? The store?!

Megadeth

Reaction score
I live in a small rural town outside of Auburn that also has a fair share of cats. Barbara Shoener was killed a few years ago in Cool, Ca by a cat. So what did we do. We killed the big female and one of her kittens. You can now view the other kitten at Folsom Zoo. What I'm trying to say is that is as plain as day that cats are'nt STAYING fearful of man. In order of public safety and managing our herds, we must hunt cats! I will proceed with the three s rule if one even crosses my property. nuff said

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
Saw a few lion tracks in D6 near Greenly hill while I was out bear hunting.

John

doghouse95

Reaction score
Where so I start on the cats.
They kill about one deer a week for food.
If the bears don?t smell it out, this is right, but most of the time the bears will steal their
stash, and they will have to kill again.
Cats only kill the weak and young.
During the rut, the biggest bucks with the best genetics, think they own the mountain.
When attacked by a lion, they will often stop and fight instead of getting their butts out of
harms way.  They almost always lose. We end up feeding the cats our biggest and best
bucks.
I know people who haven?t been able to raise a single colt out of three mares in three
years.  They live out in the sticks, but they keep their horses right by their house.  Three
different cats have been killed, with proper permits, in three years, but there will be
another one back next year.
I?m often out in the foothills and mountains with my family, but I always keep a couple of
dogs with  me, and still see cats from time to time.  I see three or four a year during deer season.
There are lots of cats out there.

Top Bottom