Mule Deer Zones

rsolo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a little help. I usually hunt blacktail on vandenberg. This year, i'm hoping to expand my horizons a bit and go after some mule deer. Can someone point me to zones that have a reasonable chance at mule deer? Poking around here, it seems that some of the D zones, maybe d3-5 and 6 might hold some. Any other (non-draw) recommendations? I'm sending my apps in on friday cuz i'm leaving the country on business until the end of May.

Thanks for your help.

easymoney

Reaction score
Start with the big game book/tracks that has harvest numbers and draw numbers. It will give you an idea of which zones have better success rates and odds at getting drawn.
That being said, that would also be an oxymoron, because areas of higher success rates are usually X zones and harder to draw. And if you don't apply you can't get drawn...
A, B or some D zones have good rates but also get loads of company especially rifle season. Some D zones do sell out so it pays to apply early if you know where you want to hunt.
Any of the D zones that abut the national forests are a good bet, but get lots of attention especially roadhunters.
IMHO, get a back pack and hike in a minimum 2miles away from any roads, trails or campgrounds and you might have some fun without the crowds.
Good luck

Orygun

Reaction score
You can hedge your bet and set aside some time toward the end of the season in one of the D zones. Midweek will find few people and you'll have plenty of room for roaming. I would second heading into the backcountry. You'll be hard pressed to find more beautiful surroundings anywhere in the country and if you get off the main trails a bit you'll ditch the free range organic crowds.

FresnoHunter

Reaction score
Check out D-8, they never sell out on tags, not even close to selling out and they had nearly the same amount of Bucks harvested last year as D-7 which did sell out very early. Closer drive coming from So Cal for you etc etc.

rsolo

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. I'm up in the Bay Area, but I'm not overly concerned about distance. Wherever i go, i think i would plan at least a 4 day camp out.

I picked up the big game book and poured over the numbers. It's hard to tell what part of the take is mule deer and what is blacktail.

As a broad generalization, is it safe to say that the blacktails are in the coastal ranges and inland and the mule deer are in the eastern mountains and desert zones? Do blacktail and mule deer overlap alot in the D zones? I know they interbreed in some areas.

I've been camping/fishing in x8 just off of monitor pass in August for the last couple of years. I plan on applying for x8 and picking a mule deer zone for my second choice.

Thanks for all the tips.

Orygun

Reaction score
In general, where the interbreeding occurs you will see larger animals than what you see on the coast. Blacktails have invaded east past Mt Shasta and are influencing the genetic composition of the northern X zones.

You also need to consider what you want in a mule deer: desert, southern, California, Inyo, to Rocky Mountain muley. I think that's all of em?? Too many??

easymoney

Reaction score
rsolo,
"Generally" west of hwy 5 is blacktail and east of the same is muley. The interbred animals are not allowed in the record books. In D zones they are mainly muleys. X8 is a good zone and gets lots of attention so put in fast. Most all X zones are in the high sierra or northeast state and are draw only.
Get a tag, backpack in away from roads in most any NF area and you will have a great time...

rsolo

Reaction score
I can't wait until the season opens. I just ordered my new slug gun for vandenberg and I have my tag apps ready to send in. I think I'll apply for x8 as first choice, D6 for second.

I'll need to find some good D6 maps.

Thanks for all the advice.

rsolo

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ May 8 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah.

The coveted D6 Tag.[/b]
Is that sarcasm, or is d6 an okay zone? I don't know much about it. Not that it matters now, i've already sent in my app.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I've hunted D6 most of my life. It's become a learning curve.
If you draw it drop me an email.
It's a fun zone.

rsolo

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ May 14 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've hunted D6 most of my life. It's become a learning curve.
If you draw it drop me an email.
It's a fun zone.[/b]
Will do, much appreciated. At the very least it will be beautiful country. I'm looking forward to a fishing/scouting trip this summer.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
The fishing is usually pretty good up at the Clark Fork.
Have fun.

lxtrail

Reaction score
D6 is fun and big get a bear tag also, for the just in case. there is alot of wilderness and area that hold nice deer I got a 160 4x4 a few years back and blew a shot and a nice 3x3 the next year if intrested drop me a line as well i plan to head up there with one or two tags if things dont work out in x12. also have some good binos or spotting scope

rsolo

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lxtrail @ May 20 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
D6 is fun and big get a bear tag also, for the just in case. there is alot of wilderness and area that hold nice deer I got a 160 4x4 a few years back and blew a shot and a nice 3x3 the next year if intrested drop me a line as well i plan to head up there with one or two tags if things dont work out in x12. also have some good binos or spotting scope[/b]
Will do, is it deer season yet?...how about now? I can't wait.

westcoastr

Reaction score
if you are man enough to hike for miles and miles, there is a huge mulie herd in d-7 in the humpheries basin, if the weather hasn't pushed them down by the time the season is open

bighorn67

Reaction score
Coastal deer from Monterey County north are considered full Blacktail, coastal and mountain deer west of the 5 freeway and south of Monterey County are considered hybrid Mule Deer, deer in the desert near Mexico are Burro Mule Deer which are some of the largest mule deer anywhere, deer in the Sierra Nevada are Inyo Mule Deer. I think that covers it. Someone who knows more than me, which isn't hard, can fill in the blanks.

Dave

Top Bottom