Muleys on the north rim of the Grand Canyon

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
3 bucks in velvet from the Kaibab National Forest in northern Arizona this week.

I was up in the Kaibab turkey hunting with some buddies this past week, we also deer hunt the plateau in the fall. The Kaibab is known as "Deer Heaven" because of all the deer and monster 30"+ racks. Kaibab is a Paiute Indian word that means "Where the mountains lay down." Jacobs Lake is the hub for this high plateau country with a small motel, restaurant, campground and gas station.

Weather in May can be in the high 80s with desert storms rolling in sometime in the afternoon to full blown snowstorms. The elevation is about 9,000 feet and there are many alpine meadows to check out. Quaking aspen (quakies) and pine dominate the hillsides.

1/2 hour to the south of Jacob's Lake is the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Biggest hole in the ground I've ever come across. The north rim has less tourists so it is easier to move around on while hiking and taking pics. The canyon view from the North Rim Lodge's huge observation deck is simply awesome. There are day hikes and mule teams if you want to descend into the canyon.

I was able to use my digital Olympus 2100 UZ to take several panaramic pics of the canyon. When I download the pics to my computer the Olympus CamMeadia software can automatically stitch the pics together for one huge mural. I'll post it when I get the time to catch up on my pic editing.

gizz

Reaction score
I'd like to see that panaramic spectr17 when you get a chance of course. Sounds kinda neat.

Top Bottom