Muzzle Break on my Savage 300 WinMag

Montaj629

Reaction score
Considering a muzzle break for my Savage 300 WinMag. Pros and cons. I know it will reduce recoil and make it more enjoyable. I know it will make it pretty dang loud though. This gun is used for hunting, not to much of bench rest shooting. Looking for input. Anybody else do this to their rifle?

Montaj629

Reaction score
It's the composite accustock. Great gun but since it is so light, it packs a punch.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Your really the only one that knows if a muzzle break will benefit you. If your current shooting is affected by the kick, then yes, by all means go with the muzzle break, But you would be smart to hunt with some form of ear plugs. They do make some that only cut out those gun shot sound waves, so you can still hear and carry on a conversation.

If it was a wood stock, my recomendation would have been to change that first.

julian999

Reaction score
It will reduce recoil significantly but loud .I have vais , schuler and holland on my magnum rifle.
Try changing the recoil pads first before you move into brakes .

Last edited:

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Don't have a 300 WinMag but have shot it with a muzzle break and it sucked.... picture all that energy (noise and debris) blowing back in yours and your rifle's space.
Skip the brake, keep it tight to your shoulder and dry fire before a live round when sighting or checking your scope.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Try changing the recoil pads first before you move into brakes .
That is very good advice. Every single rifle I have had, if it didn't come with a premium recoil pad, it was one of the first things did. In many cases, the only thing I did; with the exception of that custom by crunch 7mm I recently posted about.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I do not shoot a rifle with a muzzle brake but 2 buddies do. One is a 300 Win Mag and the other a 300 Ultra mag. They love them and I hate being anywhere near them when they shoot. With that being said if my shoulder gets any worse I may put a brake on my 7 mag but I hope to not go there. In my opinion it improved one of the shooters confidence so he shoots much better now. If you are getting pounded and you are worrying about it the brake might make you a more confident shooter. I am just not a fan of the extra noise and your hunting buddies may complain. Hearing protection even while hunting would be highly recommended.

Montaj629

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice so far! I am going to look into a new recoil recoil pad. As always, much appreciated advice.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I have a magna port brake on my Browning Boss and had one installed on my Marlin LA 45/70 and both are sweet.
but yes Ear plugs a most the 06 will blow full boxes of ammo off of the bench, the 45/70 My 5 foot 120 lbs wife loved to shoot after the brake was installed.

adam32

Reaction score
I put brakes on everything, even the 22-243 had a brake. My newest "magnum", a .284 Diablo, is wearing a Terminator T3 brake.

Montaj629

Reaction score
I think my biggest concern would be the noise. I do not wear hearing protection when big game hunting. Sounds like if I want to keep my hearing I should start. Especially if I put a break on it... I guess I need to get in the habit muzzle break or not.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Ear plugs have come a long way, I have some Remington ear plugs that I can hear all around me they just block out higher decibels that would cause hearing damage. works great for me, that is when I do wear them. When I'm out hunting I tend to forget

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Kick doesn't bother me, just let it happen. The amount of dirt and dust blown in my face when shooting the 300 Win Mag in the prone position was an issue.
Some guys like em, some guys don't.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Definitely try to put in hearing protection before taking the shot if possible.

I noticed that Bubblehide's hearing (don't know if he's aware of it or not) is a slight-bit compromised. I'll have to assume it's because he's a veteran hunter and thus there have been many shots fired during his years. It's not bad Bubble, don't freak, just a little bit. There were times when I was trying to loudly whisper to ya when we were at your spot... where I was surprised ya didn't hear it the first time.

I'm concerned about hearing protection because now only one side for me hears the high frequencies well.

Physical trauma caused the Ear-dum on the other side to perforate, so the highs on that side are discernibly compromised. Life would uber-suck if my other ear ever got that diminished.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely try to put in hearing protection before taking the shot if possible.

I noticed that Bubblehide's hearing (don't know if he's aware of it or not) is a slight-bit compromised. I'll have to assume it's because he's a veteran hunter and thus there have been many shots fired during his years. It's not bad Bubble, don't freak, just a little bit. There were times when I was trying to loudly whisper to ya when we were at your spot... where I was surprised ya didn't hear it the first time.

I'm concerned about hearing protection because now only one side for me hears the high frequencies well.

Physical trauma caused the Ear-dum on the other side to perforate, so the highs on that side are discernibly compromised. Life would uber-suck if my other ear ever got that diminished.
G, I was ignoring you:lol bashing sign:. No, I'm aware of it. It all started in my younger years. I spent more time underwater in one year than most active divers do in a lifetime. I did that for a few years. This is just one more reminder that I should be wearing hearing protection.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
My Rem 700 was so painful to shoot I could not hit anything with it. But a break and aftermarket pad on it and it was magically tranformed into a tack driver. My teen claimed it and hits the steel targets at 600 yards with it. Let your groups decide.

View attachment 87516

nickman123

Reaction score
I have a muzzle brake on my browning 7mm mag. Really, really reduces the recoil. Makes it a pleasure to shoot. Honestly, with my rifle, it really isn't a whole lot louder to me (the shooter) when I fire it. It's people standing on either side of me who get their ear drums blown out. The brake seems to redirect the noise and concussion out to the side at about a 90 degree. So I don't worry too much about me when I hunt. It's the people I'm hunting with that better stick their fingers in their ears when I fire.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
They also cause fouling, and require cleaning more often, as they can increase internal pressure. If your aware of this, and diligent about cleaning, it's not an issue.

Top Bottom