Muzzle loader season starts off with a bang.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Couldn't get out the first morning of Muzzle Loader but did manage to get out that afternoon. Took my 8 yo daughter.

We weren't in the stand for 15 minutes when a small 8 pt came out. I grabbed the video camera and got some footage. Then at my daughters insistance I shot him. We were back to the truck before dark. She has mentioned it twice since. What a thrill it was having her along. I'll post the picks when I get them back.

After I got him I remembered I can take still pic's with the cam corder. So I took these two pics on consecutive days.

This one is an 8 pt although you can't tell by the pick.

This is some deformed spike. Tines must be 15" long.
One sticks straight up the other out and around.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Glad to hear things went well, Arrowhead...and good to see you on again.

I'm thinking about taking my smokepole back to NC this Christmas, and see if I can put some venison in the freezer.  Didn't do worth a dang in CA this year, so maybe I'll have a whitetail instead.

Rifle season should be underway there by now.  How's that going?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Speckmisser >> Actually it's still Muzzleloader season until this Saturday 10/10.

It's been to dang warm here. Big bucks aren't moving during the day yet. Small bucks are on the move. Mornings are cool, around 40, afternoons it's been getting into the high 70's.

Hasn't rained in over a month. Water holes are drying up.

I got laid off at the end of October so I am getting plenty of time in the stand. Hopefully in the next week or so big daddy will come out to play. Drop me a line when you head east, maybe we can hook up end do some hunting.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I guess there's a good side to getting laid off, huh?  Heh heh... right at the beginning of deer season too.  But NC must be in a time warp if the coming weekend is only 10/10.  Out here in the progressive west, the date will be 11/10.  Just cracking on you...  

Anyway, at Christmas I'll be hunting down on the coast, near the Cape Fear River.  My folks have a place right on the river, so I'm hoping to do a little deer hunting and maybe shoot some wood ducks too.  I always build it up to be bigger than it is, because when I actually get there I'll end up hunting maybe two mornings and an evening or so.  Lots of catching up with family to do...

I remember our earlier emails, though, and would love to find a time when I could get up to your area.  Still looks like great hunting.

Top Bottom