My 2012 D-14 buck mount, DIY

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
Had it made locally. Cost me 13 bucks. Cheap and looks good!

mgriffith80

Reaction score
Right on! I like it...I'm working on finishing my Ram Euro Mount now. Might add a name plate like that. Thanks.

inchr48

Reaction score
mgriffith,
Check places that do sports trophies. They usually engrave their own plates also.

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
I should have said that lol! Sports trophy places are great for name plates.

JD.HOG

Reaction score
what did you use to clean the skull like that?

inchr48

Reaction score
JD,
You take as much of the hide and tissue as you can off the skull, then boil it in some detergent (to cut oils). I use a turkey fryer for heat, and a wash tub for the skull. Keep the antlers out of water (I also wrap mine with painting tape). Once clean (it takes some scrubbing as you're boiling), let dry and then whiten with a hydrogen peroxide solution. Hair salon strength works best. I usually coat mine with a satin clear acrylic once done to make it easier to dust, and seal the bone.

I've also used a kit from Van Dyke's Taxidermy supply. The kit does two deer skulls for around $50 (the last time I ordered).

Attachments

boarhunter67

Banned
Reaction score
Follow the above advice with two exceptions. Simmer, don't boil. Boiling will weaken the bone. That's probably why much of the skull is missing in Sixguy's mount. It still looks good, but it looks like a lot is missing. Add a step of degreasing before whitening. Make sure you don't use bleach to whiten, but peroxide from a beauty supply store.

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
Follow the above advice with two exceptions. Simmer, don't boil. Boiling will weaken the bone. That's probably why much of the skull is missing in Sixguy's mount. It still looks good, but it looks like a lot is missing. Add a step of degreasing before whitening. Make sure you don't use bleach to whiten, but peroxide from a beauty supply store.
Actually, the mount is exactly how I wanted it. Just the skull plate and bridge of the nose. There is another thread with my elk mount from last year. Did it the exact same way. It wasn't intended to be a full euro mount, as both animals were finished off with headshots. As for simmering, you are correct. I used the wrong term. All of my mounts come out very strong and grease free due to using a small amount of detergent in the water.

Top Bottom