My blind is back!

312B1

Reaction score
We were out scouting Imperial county for dove today and stopped by Wister to see what they have done to the place so far. We came up the the south end and noticed that they have not done a single thing(visible to us) to any of the areas south of the check station, with the exception of U10 2 & 4. In this area they have planted corn, and it's in there nice and tight, so hopefully it will not fail like some of the previous years. Also they have laid gravel throughout the entire camping area.

We were pretty anxious up until the north end because areas like the S20s,T12s,U10s, and U12s which were starting to get overgrown last year, are going to be worse this year if they do not do anything aout it.

When we got to the north end though, I gave out a sigh of relief, because this is where they have put their work in. The 115As & 115Bs have not been touched, but the Bs were cleaned last year and still in pretty good shape, except that #4 looks like it did a couple of years ago and it does not appear to have enough room to put out a goose spread. But they have put some work into the 115Cs. In the 6 years I have hunted Wister, 115C5 has never been a good blind for anything other than pass shooting geese, but this year will be different. It has been disced and leveled, and there is not an inch of vegetation on it, providing an excellent sheetwater blind with a nice flat floor to walk on. The rest of the 115Cs appear untouched.

We were happy when we got to the 312s as well. They have burned almost the entire 312C area except the far west end(312C1), which is good because it was starting to get thick. But best of all, they have disced and leveled the area between the gravel road that goes up alongside 312B 1 & 3 and the resevoir, which means B2 & B4 are huntable again. Like 115C5, it is cleaner than a whistle. 312B1 had turned into a subpar blind in the last few years because the entire east side was choked off, but now you can set as big as goose spread as you would like on the east and still have the marshy area on the west for ducks. The area around 312A5 has also been disced, and will probably be planted with green feed again.

The entire 413 hunting area has also been disced and good news for the duck hunters, they have burned all of 513B. That area had been getting pretty thick as well. All of 513A and the 515s looked like they have not been worked on. The 515s especially are starting to get really choked up. And to my disappointment, the 514s have not been touched yet. It was really nice when they had those green feed blinds up there.

There is still plenty of time, so hopefully they can do some work on the south end before they start flooding. I know have they have to provide a certain amount of overgrowth for the Clapper and such, but some of the blinds that are normally huntable should be cleaned up.

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks for the report.  It's good to hear they've done some work up north, some of my favorites are up there and they've been looking a little overgrown the last couple years.  I've stayed down south lately, but maybe it's time to head back up to the north end.

Did you see many dove?

312B1

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Chris on 9:23 pm on Aug. 20, 2002
Did you see many dove?
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>
Not a whole lot in the Wister area, but they haven't disced Y14 yet. Around Calapatria they are everywhere. It looks like it will be a very good year.

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Can I use your blind this year<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Only if you set out a nice goose spread and have some hot coffee waiting for me when I roll in about 5 minutes before shoot time. Don't let the 312B1 tag hanging on the board fool you, if you take a look at it carefully it says "reserved for Ralph" on it. :D

Advertisement

Top Bottom