My daughter passes hunter-safety...

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
My 10 year old daughter passed her hunter-safety course on Saturday. She was grinning ear-to-ear when she walked out with her card. ...so was I

I am thinking a turkey hunt would be a good way to get her started hunting.

Any suggestions on taking a child turkey hunting? What's worked for you guys?

Do you recommend a guided hunt - know any guides kid friendly?

Thanks,
Tom

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Sit them right with you, either beside you or directly in front of you. The very first time I took my oldest with me we located a pair of hot two years olds. I set him up about 15 yards in front of me in direct line from me to the birds and began calling. These two birds tried to out race each other to get to us. we were on a slight hill and the birds had to cross a bottom to get to us. When they hit the base of the hill we were on, instead of comming directly up the hill, they circled around the hill a ways and came up to our right side. I had a shot on them but he didn't bacause of some bushes. unfortunately i had brought along only one shotgun and he had it in his hands.

One Track

Reaction score
Congrats to your daughter. Was that in Ca? I have an 8 y/o daughter, that is about ready.

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

One Track, Yes that was in Northern California.

...now I am looking for a shotgun that will fit her. Sounds like she needs a 28 ga with a 12.5 LOP.

Tominator

Reaction score
WOOHOOOO!!!!! Congrats to your little girl
(rootbeer float)

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tom wingmaster @ Mar 17 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Guys!

One Track, Yes that was in Northern California.

...now I am looking for a shotgun that will fit her. Sounds like she needs a 28 ga with a 12.5 LOP.[/b]
Congrats to you and your daughter. Try a youth 870, 20 gauge. Their great for even the slightest built kids.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Wingmaster,
Where did she take the course? I took my son a few weeks ago and I introduced him to the instructor and right off he told me "I feel he should be 12 before he gets his license," I don't think any of the kids under 13 that took the class passed and most were upset.(I also heard the same instructor telling the class to go for head and neck shots at deer so you "drop" them in their tracks and the meat tastes better because no adrenaline) My hunting buddies, who test my son all the time on ethics and safety, could not believe he didn't pass. The instructor did offer my son a "reader" but I declined, he reads at an eighth grade level and scored a 66% on the test, he didn't seem to care that he didn't pass because he knows he will still be in the blind with me. Others have told me to take him elsewhere to an instructor that teaches kids better.

Brian

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
Brian,

I took him to the Rancho Cordova Shooting range off of Sunrise and Douglas Blvd. They offer the class twice a month. This place recommended kids be 11 years old. They said up-front kids 10 and 11 will have a harder time understanding the questions, but they would do their best to help them. Cost was $20. Starts at 7:30 am and ran to 5:30 PM.

I spent 5 hours reading the manual with my daughter and having her take the review test in the back. It was required for the class. Then I had her study and focus on the review test. I am pretty sure she would not have passed if not for the pre-work completed.

There's no question that the right instructor will help. I had originally scheduled her with someone else I found on the DFG site. From the moment we spoke on the phone I did not feel comfortable with him. I met him in Sac to pickup the manual and it only got worse. I was going to stay with him only in my rush to get my daughter her license before turkey season - we found Rancho Cordova at the last minute, the week before CWA had a shooting Camp there my daughter attended.

I'd recommend attending any of the CWA Camps if they're anything like what was held at the shooting range. They let the kids shoot archery, 22 rifle, and trap/skeet with a focus on safety. Everything geared for the kids.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Whoadog

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, you are not the first to recommend them. I guide and can honestly say my 8 year old is safer, and more ethical for that matter, than some of the adults that I guide. I like the way Texas feels about their you hunters a lot better than CA, it should be up to the parents when their child is ready.

Brian

Top Bottom