My daughters first hunt ever, first turkey

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
I am so proud of my little girl, she just passed her hunter-safety last month and this Saturday went on her first hunt shooting her first turkey.

I owe a big thanks to Jim Garcia. Wow, his property, the number of birds we saw, his knowledge of turkeys and his calling, not to mention his coaching especially for madi. He picked a great spot for a 10 year olds first hunt. We had non-stop action from the moment we setup until we were both done by 7:10 am

Madi’s shot was at 15 yards with her custom fit .410 and mine was at 25 yards. A friend cut down his older gun to fit Madi’s 11 in length-of-pull.

The first tom in, right off the roost, hung up at 60 yards and moved off, but 2 jakes came running in from the opposite direction immediately afterwards only to stop when they saw the decoys. They then worked there way around some trees coming in from the side. I could hear Jim moving Madi into position, asking her “do you have a bead” and then “Take em”. I heard the shot and saw one fly off but could not see the other. I thought she missed for sure when I heard Jim yell “you nailed em”. ...she was non-stop talking on the way home. She went to school today with pictures and a turkey foot.

We were standing over the jake when we hear another gobble from the same direction the jakes came in from. Jim asks if I want to take a bird – blood pumping, wanting to prolong the fun …of course I said yes. We run back to the setup and Jim calls softly and we hear several different toms sound off. Next we see 3 big toms chasing jakes away from hens working there way toward us. It was quite a show for Madi and us. At one point Jim’s telling me they’re to far out still, while I have my bead on a nice tom about 25 yards away! Jim finally sees him when he walks out from behind some tree limbs working toward the decoys – Jim sees him and asks if I do – I am whispering “yea” bam! 2 birds down.

Then we just sat and watch a big tom run, and I mean RUN, over to the shot bird and while he didn’t stomp him, he just kept walking around and bumping him, while other tom’s kept chasing the jakes away. A hen walks within about 15 yards from us, just putting, purring, with occasional yelp thrown it. Madi and I felt like we were in a PRIMO’s video …couldn’t get any better for us.

Madi’s Jake
- 14 lbs
- 2 in beard
- She actually pulled the trigger and nailed it, made me proud

My Tom
- 2 year old
- 19 lbs
- 8 in beard
- Spurs less than 1 inch

Again, big thanks to Jim Garcia.

kpanza

Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations to both of you - that is a memory she'll have forever, as will you... Way to go!

ouachitamtnman

Reaction score
Unreal! Great job y'all. I can't wait until my little girl os old enough to go with me.

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
If that don't make a father proud i don't know what would congrat's to the father,daughter double simply awesome!

RR1

Reaction score
Way to go Madi!
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Tominator

Reaction score
Now that's why we go right there! Congrats Madi and Pops!!!

DRAKE11

Reaction score
That is great. Congrats. Another youth hooked for life on turkeys.

switch

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Daughter's Rock! My 7 1/2 year old has been out with me a few times and she is hooked.

That last picture is a definite wall-hanger! Way to go.

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
This is the very best story of this season I believe! Your little girl is fabulous. I love taking the turkey foot to school- too cool. I'll bet the kids were impressed.

radioleo

Reaction score
Nice...........Can't wait for my son to harvest his first TOM

Memories that last a lifetime.

radioleo

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Congratulations Madi. That is a wonderful accomplishment.. It's a wonderful thing that you brought your Dad along with you to enjoy it also. It is something that neither one of you will ever forget.

Outstanding pictures afterwards as well.

Root Beer Float toast for you.

One Track

Reaction score
That is totally outstanding! One happy daughter, and a happier father. I can't wait for a day like that. Congratulations!

JNDEER

Reaction score
Awesome story and congradulations on a great hunt!

Mongo523

Reaction score
This is absolutely fantastic! Congrats to Madi on her first bird! With a .410 no less! One bad thing though... she's going to think this turkey hunting thing is easy! First time out, gets a bird! Yeah, this turkey hunting is soooo simple. Congrats on your bird too... he's a beauty.

I cannot wait until my oldest, she will be 8 this summer, will go with me. Right now, she is WAY to fidgety and impatient to go. But, the interest is there. She likes to watch my turkey hunting videos with me, and "shoots" the turkeys with her toy gun! My youngest daughter, who will be 4, has already told me she doesn't want to go turkey hunting with me. I'm gonna have to really work on her to change that stubborn little mind of hers.

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mongo523 @ Apr 17 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... My youngest daughter, who will be 4, has already told me she doesn't want to go turkey hunting with me. I'm gonna have to really work on her to change that stubborn little mind of hers.[/b]
Madi told me the same thing when she was younger, in fact up until about a year ago she still was not wanting to go. She started warming to the idea after watching some girls on tv hunting. ...also a friend of hers was into shooting. She just asked "Dad, when can I go duck hunting?"

We've been telling her and retelling her she had an easy, maybe once in a life time hunt. We'll see if she'll go on a pulbic property hunt with some hiking involved.

Thanks everyone for the great replys. That pumps Madi up even more.

Tom

Top Bottom