My daughters teacher tells my daughter to stop talking about hunting,

83blazer

Reaction score
My daughter is very storytelling and loves to hunt with her old man. She talks about it like kids talk about anything. To her it is very natural to hunt and fish.

I am pissed. My daughter tells me that her teacher told her to stop talking about any kind of hunting. That she don't want to hear about it. So all the other kids can talk about how they went to the movies, mall, party, etc... but my girl can't talk about how she went hunting with her old man, shot doves, quails, and she shot a rifle.

Am I over reacting?? I AM JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE SLAPPING being funny.

savage99

Reaction score
Over reacting no but your not reacting effectively.

Slapping a teacher verbally or physically isn't effective - they just shutdown and never hear your message. You need to be eloquent or witty in your argument, but can't be a nut.

When is she talking about hunting? If it is at recess then its none of the teachers business. If is it during class time then its time to tell your daughter there is a time place to discuss hunting and fishing but not during class if it is not directly related.

If your daughter is a big talker the teacher may just need a break, no matter what the subject is.

Everyday in my class I tell students to redirect the topic of conversation back to the subject matter. If it is related fine, if not end it. I'd love to discuss hunting but is not a essential state standard and I don't have enough time in the day already to teach the standards I do feel are important. If your daughter has time to discuss hunting and fishing in the class, instead of slapping the teacher I'd ask the teacher's principal why my daughter is so bored or idle in your classroom that she or any of the students have time to discuss things that are off topic.

After suggesting to the principal her classroom management skills may be in need of improvement every book report, essay, current event and report after that meeting would have a hunting/fishing focus. Can't wait to see your daughter's science fair topic? How about lead contamination in game meat or how to field dress game?

Now in my class we are going fishing as a class in spring...

Enjoy

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
As a teacher of 12 years, I have found that the students enjoy getting to know about me apart from the class room. It is the only exposure to family or a dad figure some of them get.

My students hear about hunting and fishing. It's their heritage.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
As a parent, you have an important part to play in the education of your child. I take that role to be as supportive of the teacher (and the education system as a whole) as I can. My wife is both a teacher and a mother, so I get it from both sides. In the classroom, the teacher's word is law. Right or wrong, your daughter needs to conform to the law. In the case the teacher is wrong, you can take it up with the principal later, but in a constructive, orderly fashion.

Savage99 has excellent advice! If, during the course of the day, the teacher doesn't want to hear it, then perhaps the teacher is the best one to do something about it. On the other hand, if this is occurring at lunch, recess, or some other slack time, then I'd tell my daughter, to chat away any time that chat is allowed. I'd be curious to know if other topics are censored from discussion as well.

Slapping isn't the answer, but then I sense you said that in jest. Go discuss this with the principal and follow savage99's advice, it's rock solid.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hmm.. needs more context.

When is she talking about hunting? Is it in the right time and place (e.g. let's talk about what you did this weekend, or what are your favorite hobbies)?

Is your daughter using talk about hunting to make other kids or the teacher uncomfortable because she knows it bothers them? Is she unnecessarily graphic about blood, guts, and death? It's not unreasonable to ask a child to be sensitive to the other people's feelings.

Why does the teacher not want to hear about it anymore? Was this a one-time incident?

It does sound like a discussion with the teacher may be a good idea. If you feel particularly defensive, maybe you should arrange a conference with the teacher and a principal instead of meeting one-on-one with the teacher. The discussion should be constructive, and you need to be willing to listen to what the teacher is saying. No matter how much we trust our kids, there is ALWAYS another side to the story. Get the whole picture. If, at that point, you feel the teacher is unfairly stifling your child's interests, then you can take appropriate action.

Despite the glut of sensationalized media, it's highly unlikely that there is a political motivation behind this.

sancho

Reaction score
talk to the teach. at least ask her, "why?" get her side of the reasoning. heck, maybe your kid heard it wrong. this could go anywhere. keep your emotions in check until you get all the goods. your kid will appreciate the lesson.

then tell her your side of the story. all my teacher friends all say that they wish the parents were more involved. get involved.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Do what my mom did if they allow it, inform them you will be sitting in class, a couple days out of the week. you will learn a lot about the teachers, i know its not a easy thing to do but you will see first hand just what goes on in the classrooms, i dont think you will need to resort to this but my mom had the school shut down after her visits, no lie.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Okay, here is another teacher's perspective. I can't stand kids talking about dental issues - it absolutely makes my stomach turn. When kids talk about it in class, I jokingly ask them to quit and tell them that it gives makes me not feel good. They laugh about it and we move on from there. If they continue, I get a little more forceful in making them stop. It is possible that maybe your daughter's teacher really struggles with killing animals and she really doesn't want to hear about it - much like I can't stand talking about dental issues. Tell your daughter that while she is in earshot of that particular teacher, to refrain about talking about hunting, simply out of respect for her teacher. When she is not around her teacher, she can talk about it. If this teacher is an English teacher and has your daughter write essays, for the time that this teacher is her instructor, have your daughter limit the writing about killing animals and focus more on the time with family and being outdoors. If she grades your daughter unfalirly because of this, make sure that she did follow the guidelines of the assignment, then take the issue up with the teacher FIRST, and if it can't be resolved there, then, and only then, take it to an administrator.

I agree with Savage 99, if she is disrupting class by talking, regardless of the topic, then as parents you would need to deal with that problem. If she is talking about it in the hallway, or outside of class time, then she should just make sure the teacher isn't around when she does. I honestly would just have her not talk about hunting around the teacher and not persue any sort of confrontation or retaliation - the year is about half over, so hang in there.

Yes, hunting is important in many of our lives, but there are people who are offended by it. If we want to continue to have the right to hunt, we need to be somewhat considerate of those who are in opposition to it because they could help take steps to remove this privilege from us. It is unfortunate that we have to do this, but that is life and sometimes we all have to limit what we say and how we feel just to keep peace.

I have a bulletin board in the back of my classroom that is slowly being covered with pictures of kids and their deer, fish, and geese (I've got 17 pictures so far). The kids know that if they bring me a picture of them with their kill, it goes on the board. Most of the kids and most of the staff love looking at the pictures (some kids have harvested monsters). There are a few kids that are offended by it and I tell them that is why the board is in the back of the class so that they don't have to see it unless they want to. So hang in there, not all teachers are like the one that your daughter has!

Marty

Reaction score
More context, yes.

Suppose one child is allowed to openly share an experience in, say - sports, with the class.
Your child would like to share an experience in hunting.

Does the teacher cut off your child and let the other continue with their story?

If the conversations are shared during a social, anecdotal period in the classroom, then (IMO) the teacher needs to learn to be more tolerant.

83blazer

Reaction score
Well I might have came on too strong but I did not mean to slap anyone just being funny, should have pointed that out. I have taught middle school for 4 years and elementary for another 5 years. If I allow other students to talk about what they did or share what they like then I am open to it all. I would not tell one student not to talk about it because I do not like to hear or like what they have to offer. Fair is fair no matter what it is. I asked her when she was talking about and she said during the day when everyone was talking. I think that she just goes back to school from the weekends and is excited to tell all her friends about what she hunted or did for that weekend. I asked her if there are any other kids in her class that hunt and she said, "YES". I asked her what is it that her teacher tells her. She said that the teacher tells her not to talk about it because she can not see herself eating something she kills. That if it were up to her she would become a vegetarian.

I told her that if it is not the right place or time to talk about it then she needs to respect that. I also told her that if all the students are sharing what they did or just talking about what they like to do then it's OK to talk about it. I told her that if the teacher tells her something when she and other students are sharing then she needs to call me and I will talk to her.

Everyone is right I need to hear more facts and figure out when she is saying all these things. What I can tell from what little detail I get is that the teacher told her that not everyone likes to hunt and hear about the animals we hunt or kill, therefore she needs to be careful about what and to whom she talks to about it.

My daughter is 8 yrs old and I don't want someone to tell her that it is wrong or she needs to be careful to whom she shares her experiences with. I don't want her to start thinking that we are a secret cult and can not share what we do. I am just kidding on the secret cult thing.

I know that growing up I would have teachers tell me that it was wrong what I did and I still have a hard time sharing with others what I do.

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies. If I hear another wrong comment about hunting then I will calmly and nicely talk to the teacher.

83blazer

Reaction score
To end on a funny, positive note. I took my girls up to the snow after school yesterday. As soon as the truck started skidding on the ice and snow my daughter say's, "dad, what are you doing? Just put it on 4x4 and let's go."

Made me laugh and give a smirk.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Get the ACLU to file suit on the school for infringement of your daughter's first amendment rights...oh, I forgot, she's not talking about homosexuals or animal rights or one of those ACLU "friendly" subjects. They probably wouldn't touch that case with a 10 foot pole.

elkguys

Reaction score
I would much rather hear her talk about hunting/fishing then xbox ! if more familes spent time toghter in the outdoors kids would be better off.I remmeber when my folks would say go outside be here for lunch if you can but donnt miss dinner, now days you tell a kid that and all they say is im board what is there to do..things sure have change

Latest Posts

Top Bottom