my DIY colorado veteran's day buck.

D9BUCKKLR

Reaction score
Me and my buds just returned from Colorado. It was a great but tough hunt. the 1st to days were the warmest I have seen in the 10 yrs we have been going. I went the 1st two days with out seeing a deer. We usually see 50 does a day. then we got weather and the temps dropped. it was 6 degrees when we started each morning. every day got better and better. on wed I passed a small forky and then ten mins later saw a big 4x4 close maybe 150 yrds. he was with 10 does and rutting hard. I had a good rest and missed him clean. twice. I was so sick to my stomach and upset. I think I just hurried and got a bit of buck fever. well on Thursday I went back to the bowl where I missed. when my buddy let me out of the Polaris and drove off. I only walked 100 yards and spotted this buck about a mile away on bare ridge covered in snow. He was slowly feeding down into a aspen thicket. I started running over there in a foot of snow falling down sucking air. ( it was at 9,500' ) I was outta gas giving everything I had. when I finally got there I was about 650 yards out. he dropped down in little hole so I closed the distance to about 400. I was thinking about using a tree but went with my stick instead. He was thrashing and tearing apart some red brush with his horns. it was sooo cool! He had no idea I was there. I waited until he stopped and pulled the trigger. He hunched up and went a few ft so I put one more in him. the 2nd was perfect right thru his heart. I was really excited. he's my 2nd best buck to date.

Attachments

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Great job at redemption. That is a fat looking buck.

21Beandog

Reaction score
Heavy horns

Nice mature buck. Good job.:thumbs up2:

SoJo

Reaction score
nice one! it's amazing that the easier shots seem to be the ones that get away, yet the further shots get the job done...hunting in the snow is awesome!

suavegato

Reaction score
nice dark, heavy antlers and he looks REALLY fat too! great job!

suavegato

Reaction score
nice one! it's amazing that the easier shots seem to be the ones that get away, yet the further shots get the job done...hunting in the snow is awesome!
Ain't that the truth! I missed a shot on beded buck earlier this year at 80 yards, kneeling with a bipod! The buck stood up after I missed, so I stood up and I shot him off hand (bi-pod hanging down) and broke his neck. Go figure?

D9BUCKKLR

Reaction score
I have not missed in 5 or so yrs. ever since I started useing a stick. I think because he was so close. I counted my chickens to early and just got him in the scope and pulled. but it worked out in the end. man I wish we were back hunting now

warren nelson

Reaction score
Nice Buck and in the snow that just makes it nicer to hunt.
How did the rest of your hunting party do.

Top Bottom