My findings on the Minolta AF35QD

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I took apart the minolta Freedom AF35R QD camera this past week and was successful in tapping into the firing circuit.  It was actually fairly easy and was much simpler than some other cameras I have worked on.  However, It does have one drawback, it has a two minute power down feature.  

To wake the camera back up, you simply just short the contacts together, wait 10-15 seconds and the short them together again to take the picture.  The camera flash takes about 10 seconds to charge again after a wakeup contact.  

There are a few ways to get around this drawback for those of you that happen to have one of these cameras.  First, you could simply have a 2 minute one shot circuit that would simply turn the camera back on every two minutes.  The other alternative is to simply send a wakeup pulse to the camera after the PIR sensor detects somthing, wait 10 seconds and then fire the camera.  Of course the deer may have moved out of camera range by then.  

Anyway, I will post the Fuji 90 and Samsung 33 circuit pics tomorrow night when I pick up my film from WallyWorld.  

BowDoc

Reaction score
The Canon owl date AF with the two push buttons on the front. Can you wire this camera like the pf and the one with the trun knob. I see alot of them with the two push buttons.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
BowDocc,

This is an older model of the Owl camera. The Owl AF camera had 2 versions so be sure to test the camera to see which version it is. To test the camera, turn it on a let it set for several hours. After 2 hours, pick up the camera while it's still on and try to take a pic. If the camera won't work until you turn it off and then back on, it's the early version that goes to sleep and needs the "On" switch reset. If the camera fires after sitting for 2 hours you have the version that works in the game cameras here. There are many of these cameras on Ebay.

I just wired one for Jerry and I'll get some pics up of the circuit layout and wiring.

Hey Archy or anyone that might know, anybody got the specs on this camera? f-stop? weight? dimensions? I let Jerry's get out without measuring and weighing it. MAybe someone has an op manual, I can't find the specs on Canon's website anywhere. Thanks.

BowDoc

Reaction score
That is the camera. I got one off ebay for 20 bucks going to give it a shot. If I can't wire the switch then I will tap it with  selinoid. The button is very light

Archilochus

Reaction score
spectr17,
I can't find the manual ... I KNOW it's around here in my pile o camera bits somewhere.....

Here's some specs for the cam:
Weight = 8.5oz  /  242gr.
Size 4.95"W x 3"H x 2"D
Batts: 2 x "AA"
Auto focus, auto flash with red-eye reduction, mid-roll rewind, forced flash/flash off operate on a "per picture" basis - you have to hold the appropriate little rubber button in order to force or suppress the flash - otherwise flash is  automatic.
Date imprint modes: 1) Off  2)  Y-M-D  3) M-D-Y  4) D-M-Y
5) Day / time

Lens: "Canon Lens - 35mm 1:4.5"

Archilochus

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Arch.

I guess the forced flash wouldn't work then in a game camera since you have to hold that rubber button in for every pic. That sucks.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi spectr,
I suppose you could always put a bit of tape on the cam over the flash sensor - fool the cam into thinking it's dark out ... who knows what that would do to the auto-exposure though.

Archilochus

Top Bottom