My First Banded Bird

Huntinfiend

Reaction score
Well.....I guess patience does pay off.  I've been duck hunting ever since I was nine years old ( 17 years)  and I finally got a banded honker. We went up to Agency Lake and Upper Klamoth ( believe it or not, but it was all open.....NO ICE!!)  Nice for hunting up there, cause it opens a lot of different options, but we need something to move the birds down.  Anyways..... I got skunked the first morning out, but my buddy got one honker that weighed just about 12 pounds....a big ol' boy.  We were just off their flight pattern, so we made some changes for  the next day.  Sure enough...the first bird of the morning.... a single came locked up on the dekes.....one shot later....he ended up staying awhile.  Couldn't even believe it when my buddy pointed it out to me.....what a rush!!  I've already called in the band number....they should be sending me the info....I'll post it when I get it.  As for the goose trip.......we ended up limiting out with 8 honkers.  This time of year my freezer is sure gettin' tight......now it's plugged.

huntducks

Reaction score
huntinfiend

Good job and thanks for sharing your banded bird with us, did you get any ducks or just geese sounds like a good hunt to me.

There could be 100 ducks come into my decoys and 98 were banded and I would double on the only two without. I have been hunting ducks & geese for 46yrs and have yet to get a USFWS band, I did shoot two honkers last year back in Mo. with private bands on them, and have taken several snows with neck bands, and one pin with a radio transmitter.

Good luck in the future with the banded birds.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom