MY FIRST CAM

Kodiak1976

Reaction score
Hello everyone i just made my first cam and it works fine. I have a few concerns however, the first concern is with the sensor i got,,,,, i got the MSR20 sensor from wal-mart when i hook up the power the cam goes off then i hear a click i wave my hand over the sensor and it clicks and the cam goes off however if i keep waving my hand over the sensor the cam will not go off but when i remove my hand i hear a click again i wait a few minites and do it again and the cam goes off,,, i was wondering if the MSR20 sensor has a timer and if so is that why the cam does not go off take a picture till i stop moving and hear the click, also my other cancern is how long will this cam last tripping the camera and sensor the way you do when you wire it will it burn the camera or sensor out

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Kodiak1976 >> Sounds like your camera is working as designed. Once the PIR sensor is tripped (= pic taken), as long as whatever is in front of it keeps moving the camera will not go off again. Movement must stop, then relay opens then when movement begins again another pic gets taken.

The clicking you hear is the relay opening and closing.

Cannot say how long camera will last because I am new to this. I would think it should last just as long as if you were taking pics by pressing the button. We'll see.

Now get that camera out in the woods.

Good Luck.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Kodiak,
The major concerns will be:
1) If an animal keeps moving for several minutes in front of the sensor, this will keep the camera shutter "pressed"  I've heard that keeping the shutter pressed for more than ~3 minutes at a time can cause the cam to enter an error state and it locks up and stops working until power is switched off.

2)  The relay will use power for minutes at a time, rather than the 3-4 seconds required to take a picture.  Eats up the batts.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Possum

Reaction score
You have a retriggerable timer on the board of the MS20 like everyone has sad. Three minutes is a pretty long time in the animal world, my opinion of course.  However, this could explain the camera batteries going dead in some of these cameras.  I guess I will start a post to investigate this.

FYI, the ms20 has a timer on the test side of 4 seconds.  I use this as the test-walk light.  On the auto side it has a timer of about 3 minutes, which would cause the camera to lock up.  Using the info found here: http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/regent-ms20.html
I modified the board to only time for about 27 seconds.  You can change the resistors out that control the timer.  The auto side is controlled by resistor number R25.  Test side is controlled by R26. See the "Tinkerers" section on this web page.  Take the existing resistors out and add or subtract resisor values until you get what you are looking for.  If you want to explore this possibility let me know and I will go see what values I used for 27 seconds and 50 seconds.  I set mine up for a three delay option.

(Edited by Possum at 12:45 pm on Sep. 2, 2001)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Well this is the first and only cam i have built so far,I do have another cam in the works for a freind and i hope to do a much nicer job,I want to build a metal box for the second one so it can be locked up and locked to the tree,theif deterent ya know!
  Let me know what you think.
 Oh,i set this cam out under my treestand the other night and within an hour had a spike get his pic taken with me watching,it was so funny wathing him try to figure things out,and it did not scare him in the least bit.
 This cam has been rained on for the last couple days and nights and when i open it it is dry as a bone,the dessicant bag i have inside for moisture is 4"X4" really big,i get them for free,they get thrown away at work.

(Edited by Passthru at 9:23 am on Oct. 11, 2001)

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Passthru, Looks pretty good to me, especially for a first one! Which sensor/timer? are you using that is under the camera?

davered1

Reaction score
passthru,

looks good .You might consider moving the switches to the side,I built my first one like you with buttons on front and they stick out like a sore thumb,That cam got stole yesterday.

just a thought

good luck,davered1

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Used the RS sensor,with no timer yet,I want to add a timer and counter to it later,next one I hope to look alot better.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Well I did it and I'd like to thank everyone, both for their individual help through responces and Email and to all those who post your experiances on this forum.  

I used one of Brians timers with all it's bells and whistles.  I set my board up like brian does and with only a chip change, I'll be ready for a digital.  I am using the 4.5ah rechargable battery from All electronics.  I'll use the additional battery power to provide auxillery power for the digital and an external flash.  

I mounted my MS20 PIR in a single width shallow gang receptical box from Home depot.  Its the perfect depth to give me just shy of 1" from the board to the Fresnal lens.  That limits the range of the PIR to about 40'.  I just put four dabs of hot glue around the edge of the board.  That way I can easily remove it if necessary.  

I'm using the Owl PF Date and got several good pictures this weekend.  Boy, that flash gets out there for a cheap camera.  I've got some pics out to 40 feet.  

I also added a small buzer to my second camera.  I fire a transistor/resistor/relay combo off of the LED pin on Brians timer chip and use the relay to supply power to a led and a small 6 volt buzzer.  I'll use this in the PIR test mode for set-ups.  That way if the sun's real bright I can hear it too.

When I send back all the extra parts I bought I'll have right at $100 each in my cam's.  I built three just like this one for me and three others for the guys at work.  

Anyway, Just wanted to share a little.  Tahnks again to everyone for your help.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Looks great.  One quick question.  How are you keeping the flash from reaching the shutter.  I don't see any kind of seal/foam between the two.  Also, let's see some of those pics!

TmKarren

Reaction score
Great looking Camera you got there.  I like how you have it set up.  You did a great job lining up the holes with the camera.  I'm building one out of a plastic box my eagle fish finder came in.  Plastic is alot harder to glue stuff on to, and to make stuff stick.  I also found out that clear silicone is a light channel.  If it touches from lense to lense it's like a light highway.  Great job again and lets see some pictures. from it!!

(Edited by TmKarren at 5:21 am on Mar. 12, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Nice looking job.  I like the connectors too. :)  Makes things nice and neat.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

jayber

Reaction score
Yep, looks real neat/clean ArkansasElkHunter......good job!  Now, look forward to seeing some of those pics!!!

Forgot to ask, are you getting royalties for advertising those boxes?  Kidding....LOL

(Edited by jayber at 8:54 am on Mar. 12, 2002)

gizz

Reaction score
You guys are making it too tempting for the thieves!:handgrab:

Seriously though, Very Nice and Clean Job! The homebrews sure have come a long way.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to help me out with my first attempt at this "Homebrew" deer cam idea. I've been watching this website for sometime now and have just now gotten up the nerve to spend the time and money on one of my own. I just finished modifying my camera. I had originally (by mistake) purchased a Canon Owl PF (without the date function) but thanks to Woodsman, I headed off a mistake before it happened. The "wrong" camera hasn't even arrived yet but still I have just finished the modification of the "right" camera. I'll be sending the other cam back tomorrow when it arrives. It took me 1-1/2 hours to complete but I have full independent functionality of the cam without the rest of the system. It looks pretty good too if I do say so myself. I'm currently waiting on my assembled board from hamiltoe and the enclosure and I'll be ready to rock. With the camera modifications complete, I think the hardest part is over (maybe). It was a little nerve racking putting a really hot piece of metal to $55.00 I just spent, but all is well. Everything works as it should. If anyone has any pointers please feel free to leave 'em here for me.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Take your time,follow directions and you cant mess up,but i have to say that you are in big trouble real soon,the trouble is that just as soon as you get one working and woods ready you start looking for #2 then #3 and it dont end.:banghead:

Dbworld

Reaction score
Yeah I remember my first cam.  It was 4 whole months ago...and now I'm working on 7 and 8 (digitals).....

MBullism

Reaction score
****** said two things I wish I'd heard before now...  the shower test, great idea (of course then I wouldn't have gotten any experience on how to dry out a waterlogged pir...)  and the list of honey do projects.  (Damn that midroll rewind feature)  Excellent advice.  This cam thing can be addictive, and in some cases, consuming!  

Welcome aboard, and my condolensces to your siginificant other!

M

Latest Posts

Top Bottom