My First Earthquake

troll

Reaction score
About a half hour ago, I was awoken from bed by the windows rattling and the bed shaking. Looks like an 5.something earthquake in Illinois. Not used to that around southwest MI. Nothing like you all out west go through.

Rodney Hood

Reaction score

Earthquake DetailsMagnitude5.4Date-TimeLocation38.481°N, 87.826°WDepth5 km (3.1 miles) set by location programRegionILLINOISDistances
  • 9 km (6 miles) NW (326°) from Mount Carmel, IL
  • 11 km (7 miles) WSW (242°) from Allendale, IL
  • 13 km (8 miles) NE (34°) from Bellmont, IL
  • 35 km (22 miles) SW (231°) from Vincennes, IN
  • 61 km (38 miles) NNW (337°) from Evansville, IN
  • 211 km (131 miles) E (94°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 3.7 km (2.3 miles); depth fixed by location programParametersNST=101, Nph=101, Dmin=36.8 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2008qza6
  • You never get use to them...even on the West Coast.

D3Lifer

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rodney Hood @ Apr 18 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Earthquake DetailsMagnitude5.4Date-TimeLocation38.481°N, 87.826°WDepth5 km (3.1 miles) set by location programRegionILLINOISDistances
  • 9 km (6 miles) NW (326°) from Mount Carmel, IL
  • 11 km (7 miles) WSW (242°) from Allendale, IL
  • 13 km (8 miles) NE (34°) from Bellmont, IL
  • 35 km (22 miles) SW (231°) from Vincennes, IN
  • 61 km (38 miles) NNW (337°) from Evansville, IN
  • 211 km (131 miles) E (94°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 3.7 km (2.3 miles); depth fixed by location programParametersNST=101, Nph=101, Dmin=36.8 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2008qza6
  • You never get use to them...even on the West Coast.
[/b]
Had a 5.4 here a couple years ago, felt like a truck hit the house. Went back to sleep after making sure everything was intact. Then again, I live next to a UPRR yard and feel like there's a quake every night.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
We do not have earthquakes in Michigan!

Or at least we didn't used to have them.

I'm up north so I didn't feel it, but still, that's too close for comfort.

GSG

inchr48

Reaction score
Everything on our dressers was shaking and the noise woke us up. Doggies didn't much care for it either.

"Shake and bake life with the quake
The secrets in the crust"

Fruitcakes -- Jimmy Buffet

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
That woke you up? That's just a little one. Come one out here if you want to feel a real earthquake.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
Don't usually notice them til they hit 5.0

Did a 7.2 while I was stationed in Japan. That one lasted a while. Started out like a little one and it was "oh it's an other earthquake". Then it was like a semi hit the house. I got up to check the baby and the lights went out and that "semi" hit the house about 3 more times. Bounced off the walls and grabbed the baby to stand in a door. He was still sleeping. That quake broke pipes, messed up roads, and knocked down some houses.

I lived in the middle of a townhouse we could hear them start at one end and go through the house and out the other end. The wife and I used to have a contest to see who could correctly guess the magnitude.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I was living in Mexico City back in '85 when the big one happened...20,000 dead or so, a day before my 9th B-day...still thinking bout it....

My wife's from Poland and she never felt an earthquake until we were living here in CA, I remember the 1st one she felt...LOL she was freaking out!! and I was like what? that little shake?! LOL

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Man we get some beauties out here. LA and SF have gotten hammered pretty good.
I hate to say this but we haven't had a big one in a long time.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 18 2008, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Man we get some beauties out here. LA and SF have gotten hammered pretty good.
I hate to say this but we haven't had a big one in a long time.[/b]
Yeah man! I keep hearing that we are already overdue...been hearing that for what 15 years now? as long as it does not catch me in BART under the the Bay waters...yep, long commute for me every day...

sancho

Reaction score
backcountry. that bart bay tube is super safe. it isnt rigid. just laying on the bay floor. good place to be. my wife rides it everyday, so it better be safe.

glad all the Illinois rookies got a baby quake. piece of cake right?

Barkoff

Reaction score
I used to enjoy earthquakes, thought they were kind of fun. I used to enjoy rolling with them, then trying to determine how they were going to score on the Richter.

Loma Prieta changed all of that, now anything over a 4.0 gets my heart a pounding. Kind of find myself holding my breath until it subsides.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sancho @ Apr 18 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
backcountry. that bart bay tube is super safe. it isnt rigid. just laying on the bay floor. good place to be. my wife rides it everyday, so it better be safe.

glad all the Illinois rookies got a baby quake. piece of cake right?[/b]
"Baby Quake" LOL ...I like it LOL

troll

Reaction score
I haven't felt the aftershocks. I must be too far away.

Top Bottom