My First hunt at Cedar Canyon Ranch

ko1featherweigh

Reaction score
Friday the 26<sup>th</sup> I head out from home at 8AM for the long drive to Cedar Canyon Ranch. I was on track but my GPS thought it would be funny to bring us to the Tehachapi prison, don’t always trust you gps. I reached Cedar Canyon Ranch just as the other hunters(five hunters in total) were getting ready to shoot and check there rifles. After all the rifles check out we headed up to the chalet to unpack and relax a little until things start to cool off.

Ok the hunt now begins. <o></o><o></o>

Day1-Night

Around 5pm we head down to meet up with bill and the rest of the crew. Bill and Paul each took half of the group and put each of us in to position where the pig will cross. Paul set me up in a spot looking over a whole ridge. Paul Jesse my cousin and I took our spots and started the waiting game . Paul told us that the pigs will be crossing that ridge when the sun starts to set. Boy… was he right just around 7:30 we spot the first few pigs from then till sundown were seeing groups of pigs. We saw a few groups of 2-3 pigs, a group of about 10, and a group of at least 30 pigs. But I never got a good shot, they were either to far or moving to fast or in cover for me to make a comfortable shot. When shooting light ran out we headed back down to meet up with the rest of the hunters.<o></o>

The first night John and Rich got there kills
<o></o>
<o>
</o>

<o>
</o>

Day2- Morning<o></o>

Woke up around 4AM and headed out around 4:30 same group minus paul. We head toward the same spot we were at the night before and on our way there we spot 2 pig in the street. I stopped and got out of the car but I left my rifle in the trunk unloaded, if I had my rifle with in reach an ready the kill could have been easy (another lesson learned). We sat at the spot until the sun came over the top of the ridge. We only saw one pig but he was way out in the distance. <o></o>

Day2- around noon<o></o>

Bill decides to take out his dogs to try and push the hogs out of there bedding areas. it was Sam(one of the hunters) and I with Bill while Tim was at the bottom waiting for the scared pig to run his way. While driving we scared out a bunch of pigs Sam and I get out of our cars and steady up on a fence all while every one was yellin “they’re going up, down, left, right” there were pigs scrambling everywhere, I took aim at a clearing where some pigs were crossing and took a shot at a running pig. I didn’t see my shot but from what they told me it was just a few inches to high. We then proceeded to the beading area when we got there we once again spooked another group of pigs that ran circles around us but did not get any good shots once again.<o></o>

Tim got his pig that after noon. sorry i didnt get any pictures

ko1featherweigh

Reaction score
<o></o>
Day2- night<o></o>

Bill set me up in a blind on some trails were the pigs cross to get to food, once again around 7:30 we see the first pig come down the top of the hill I then lose it when it gets in to some bushes. Jesse tells me that it had laid down to wait till the sun went down, but another pig comes down and about 30mins later they get up and started to head towards the food, I see the two behind a tree and they stopped right where a branch was hanging that blocked my shot all I could see was the pigs snout, after what felt like minutes the pig took a few more steps out and I took my shot BANG, I flip the blind and run toward the side of the hill I was positioned on first I see a deer running towards which caught me off guard the pig was right be hind the deer, BANGI take another shot and the pig turn and starts to run up the hill it came down from. While I’m getting ready to take my third shot I see through my scope that I hit in through the lungs and see blood shooting out the side Bang I take the third shot and th pig a gain proceeds to try and run up the hill more but falls over shortly but still fighting so we decide to take a forth shot and try to put it down ad quickly as possible. <o>

</o>
Out of the four shoots I took at the pig only 2 hit we radio back saying we got a pig so Paul comes on the ATV to haul my pig out and no more than 20mins later the sun had set

<o></o>
Day 3-morning <o></o>

Sam was the last hunter so the crew brought out the dog , I wish I got to see it but slept in the dogs found a pig and Sam got to stick it with a knife

<o>:p</o>:p

<o></o>

I have to thank all the guys at Cedar Canyon Ranch, I had an amazing time an you guys did an incredible job. f you are looking for your first hunt i would highly recomend these guys, they wont treat you different but are more than happy to help if you ask :thumbs up blue:

I also have to thank Jesse, you tought me and my cousin so much , my cousin is looking to take hunters safety soon and we will be trying to go out our self’s next time.

tpuig

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like a good time. Now in about a week you'll get your stuff back from the butcher and really get to sit back and enjoy it all over again...

ko1featherweigh

Reaction score
thanks i realy did have a great time all the people i meet on the hunting trip made it even funner.

Congrats! Sounds like a good time. Now in about a week you'll get your stuff back from the butcher and really get to sit back and enjoy it all over again...
Actualy, Paul from Cedar Canyon Ranch butchered my kill the next morning, and was kind enough to explain and let me watch while he was doing it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Sweet hog for first one ko1. You and your cousin were a pleasure to hunt with. We got lucky and got to watch a lot of deer, hogs, coyotes and foxes this weekend.

I'll try and get the video done tomorrow.

BobcatJess

Reaction score
What happened to Hatchet's post re: using a knife to take the hog. Is it legal on high fence game ranches?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Yes, it's my understanding that it's legal behind high fence in CA.

jagdman

Reaction score
Great Hunt

KO1 we had a great hunt with you guys, all the hunters there last weekend were a great to be around. We shot some good pigs for how hot it was. Have you cooked any of the boar yet.

Just to let anyone know we are still doing the hunts for 50 dollars off for any of the JHO people.

ko1featherweigh

Reaction score
KO1 we had a great hunt with you guys, all the hunters there last weekend were a great to be around. We shot some good pigs for how hot it was. Have you cooked any of the boar yet.

Just to let anyone know we are still doing the hunts for 50 dollars off for any of the JHO people.
i had a great time and all the people i meet were awsome

The meat is great, i gave out a lot of the sausage and people are asking for more. The steaks were the best i have ever had taste just like beef but super juicy.

Thank you
Ron

jagdman

Reaction score
The meat on the European boars do taste alot better than the feral hogs they say you are what you eat. When you are out of meat come on up and we will see if we can find another Boar for you. Has your cousin taking his hunter safty yet.

ko1featherweigh

Reaction score
ya, i would definitely try and come back, my cousin went back to school so he won't be taking hunters safty untill he gets a break.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Finally got the video edited. Congrats again to Ronnie, Rich W and Sam. Thanks to Bill and Paul and the gang at Cedar Canyon Ranch.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uT04L2QndCY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice work on the vids, Jesse! Good stuff. Congrats to all the hunters as well. :toast-yellow:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom