My First Turkey

Gilles

Reaction score
I killed my first turkey about a week after opening season started out here in Virginia where I go to school. i hunt on my friends 500 acre farm which is really awesome. Anyways, we got there early in the morning and saw a flock of about 18 turkeys, so we let the dog loose on them so they would scatter all over. I started calling about an hour later with a boss hen box call, and an hour after sitting in the woods a nice looking jake came over the little hill in front of me, and when he got like 20 to 25 yards from me I took him out with a head shot. I was really excited. He came out to be 13 pounds and 10 pounds dressed. Not bad for a beginner. And the sandwiches I make with his meat are awesome.

Fubar

Reaction score
Gilles  Congratulations! Now you are hooked like the rest of us. I think turkey hunting is the best. I cant wait for Spring.              Fubar

gizz

Reaction score
Way to go gilles!
With temps in the mid 60's today my turkey mind is getting a bit confused. Hope i don't grab the shotgun instead of the rifle when i go deer hunting on friday....

feelinducky

Reaction score
First I want to say thanks to all who responded to my questions before the season.   I was drawn for the Oroville hunt and today got my first tukey ever!  Saw quite a few birds Saturday morning but no luck.  Went out this afternoon and within 45 minutes, called and harvested my first bird.  A jake not a very long beard but still a trophy too me.  The first thing that popped into my head was that I couldn't wait to post his on JHP.  
Thanks to all who helped in the preseason.  

Just added pictures:  Hope this works

http://community.webshots.com/user/feelinducky

(Edited by feelinducky at 12:43 pm on April 1, 2002)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Congratulations on your success.

You'll never forget it, and I'm sure there will be many more.

Where's the pictures?????

Whoadog

Reaction score
Ducky,
 On public land in CA any harvested bird is a trophy!

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Whoadog!  That's awesome.  Congrats on your bird!!!

Welby

Reaction score
Congratulations on that first bird!  You'll be hooked for sure now!

foulshot

Reaction score
Ducky, congrats on the bird.  I was no so blessed this weekend.  I'm still waiting for my first longbeard.  This is only my second season at turkey, so hopefully soon.  Nice pics too.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Way to go feelinducky. Glad everyone here could help out on your first turkey. Is that a Merriam's turkey or Rio? the tail tips look awfully white for a Rio. Did you save your wingbones? Save the tail fan too to make a display of your first turkey.

tomturkey

Reaction score
Way to go ducky. That first bird is very special to every turkey hunter. Hope you get to take many more in the years to come. Congrats to ya!!!!

tomturkey

feelinducky

Reaction score
Jesse, I saved the wing bones but I may have messed them up when I cut them off.  I'm pretty sure it's a Rio.
Did anyone notice the JHP sticker in the rear window?

(Edited by feelinducky at 9:06 am on April 2, 2002)

Whoadog

Reaction score
 On the tail feather note I shot one last year I was sure was my first Merriam because the tips were so light, but the NWTF rep said it was a hybrid, oh well he died all the same.

Brian

MBullism

Reaction score
Congrats!  Nothing like the first one. 'cept the second. and the third, and the one after that  :rofl

You won't forget that one though...

Tominator

Reaction score
Outstanding! Awesome feeling ain't it! That's the beauty of these forums, you've always got someone to tell your stories to. Congrats again on your first bird.
Tominator

Latest Posts

Top Bottom