My girlfriend almost got one yesterday

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I took my girlfriend on her first turkey hunt yesterday. I roosted a mature gobbler the evening before and thought chances were good for her getting a shot.

The turkeys were roosted several hundred yards to the north off property. It sounded like they stayed on the roost for 20 or so minutes past good daylight. A coyote had trotted through right at daylight, so they might have stayed on the roost late if they spotted him. When they came down the gobbler stayed unsusally vocal. I could tell that they were coming to us. About 15 mintues later they appeared on property coming down the opposite side of the fense we were laying on. We moved to a different position and waited. The hens came up first, followed by two jakes and the gobbler. The two jakes came up right beside us and checked out our decoys in the field (off camera). The gobbler came in flexing and gobbling trying to get the hen's attention. My girlfriend took a shot at him at 40 yards. She hit him, but I think she grazed his back. I looked for him for 6 hours yesterday. I jumped him once, and his back looked grizzled. He didn't fly, but he could run strong.

So we ended up loosing the bird, but otherwise it was a good experience. I videoed the hunt, and the video turned out awesome IMHO:

Tominator

Reaction score
Great video! Was she laying down? Congrats on the recovery efforts hate you didn't find him for her.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Awesome video. That hen? on the left side of frame at 1:28 sure gave you guys the stare down. I hate that when the hens and jakes come in first nosing around.

Looked like she shot him in the back/wings. Tough birds. He may not be able to fly if she broke a wing. Yotes will get him then more than likely.

I couldn't tell but does she have a scope or bead on the shotgun?

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

She is laying down. She's using a scoped .204 on a bipod.

I hope the turkey survived. Realistically I know the damage the .204 bullets do when they hit. They fragment and explode like little flack shells. In a worse case scenerio the bullet would have fragmented in a non-vital area and causes the bird to bleed to death within the next 45 minutes or so. His feathers were ruffled right on the top of his back when I jumped him. She might have just nicked his back. I don't see how she could have knicked him in the back without the bullet exploding and breaking his spine unless it was the most superficial of wounds. If he was able to get up a tree that night, he might have survived. Otherwise he probably was coyote chow.

sirpotnick

Reaction score
better luck next time.... Im so excited!!! 16 more days of waiting for me....

Top Bottom