My home brew wood stove for backpacking!

huntinrod

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go to Colorado on a backpack DIY elk hunt in November..... I couldn't afford the Kifaru stove and didn't like any of the others because they all seem to be round and you can't put a pot on top and cook on it. It is all stainless steel. I bought the stove pipe from Kifaru and made everything else... Check it out! Let me know what you think!

http://youtu.be/1hFapeicT_s

solus

Reaction score
patent it and market it :smiley_green_with_e

huntinrod

Reaction score
Haahaha! Thanks! I think it came out great! Can't wait to use it somewhere besides my yard...The neighbors think Im moonshining or something! Should see the looks I get as they drive by....

WoodGrain

Reaction score
that thing is great! Hope you enjoy your works in the field for a long time!

Thanks for sharing,

WoodGrain

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
Pretty cool. How long does it take wood to burn in these little pack stoves?

huntinrod

Reaction score
I get about twenty mins of good "cooking" heat and 30 mins of "heat"

LuckyGunner

Reaction score
That stove is great.

Did it take long to make? That's one of the better setups I've seen. I've had the same issue with not being able to find a decent priced stove that wasn't round.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap ammo

huntinrod

Reaction score
Took me a full day...but half of that was figuring out what I wanted and how to do it....I could build another one in an hour or so now I bet!! Had to buy a couple tools too so it cost me more than the actual parts...but I love buying tools!

PowDuck

Reaction score
Great looking setup with one exception. It appears that you have difficulty closing and opening the front. When you've got a fire lit it will be even harder and a good chance of burning your fingers. I don't have the solution but maybe a latch that doesn't "clip." I like the use of springs for handles.

Last edited:

huntinrod

Reaction score
I couldnt get it open or closed because I was using one hand and filming with the other.... But when it is burning, the legs are supposed to be pushed in to the ground making it really stable and it opens and closes easily.

As for cost of materials....$40! Thanks to all!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom