coyotebandit

Reaction score
This camera is using a Snappy QT, Amazon PIR, a GoLab fresnal lens, a Joed timer, and my own etched surface mount board. I have about $45 into it right now, since I got the case(6x4x2)  for free. I got two more cases like this if this one works out well. I am planning on putting it out in the woods this weekend.

These pictures were all taken using the Olympus D-370 in Macro mode.

(Edited by coyotebandit at 8:04 am on June 4, 2002)

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Great looking cam.  What is the button on the bottom left (your Right) for.   How do you like the amazon pir.  I have some but the are oscilating and I have'nt figures it out yet.  Shrtcrkt has been helping me with it.  Seperate power source and everything but still no luck.  we'll get it though.  they do make a small package.  what kind of range are you getting.  what fresnal lens are you using with it?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Nice looking cam.  Very compact and efficient.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
AEH,
Thanks for the compliments, the button on the board, changes the timer modes, the external button is for the counter. I have only tested the Amazon PIR out to 25 feet(indoors), as far as the snappy flash will go on a good day, and it works great. I am using the GOLAB fresnel lens, and it's true what Brian' said, getting it centered makes a big difference. Between the use of a 5v regulator and the timer chip, I don't think the "oscillating" has been a problem. I have solved the led wire problem by cutting the led housing tube in half, and mounting the top half in the door, so when the door closes, the led enters the housing. By using all SMT parts I was able to make the board including the 5v regulator on a 1.25x1.25" board. So far so good, but it will take a field test to know for sure!

coyotebandit

Reaction score
You can get the PIR for about $10 from Amazon Electronics, look under Sensors.

Amazon Electronics Price sheet

If you want to see all the product specs look here:

PIR specs

I am using the KC7783 model, and I get pretty good distance with the GOLAB fresnel lens.

Once I do a field test and get some pics, I will post my findings on this PIR. I know Shrtcrkt has been using them for awhile.

davered1

Reaction score
coyotebandit,

That camera looks pretty good. Nice and small ,well thought out.

You probably won't get 25' out of that camera outside,seems to get about 20' outside.You might want to add a little foam and tinfoil around flash to help "throw" it a bit

Very nice job, probably about as small as you CAN go.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

I was looking it over and I realized that I might need to seal up the flash a little better. I think next time for the sealing foam I am going to use the white color, since it should reflect the light better. The other nice thing is that I can simply just set an owl in place and use that if I need a little more light, or the date, since the OWL PF is about the same size as the Snappy QT. The olympus D-370 is smaller than the Snappy QT, but the lens and flash holes don't line up. I have two more of these small enclosures to build my next digital cam, and another OWL PF date version. I think I might add a flash extender also.

Thanks to Brian for help with the opto's and inverter circuit, and Davered1 for the Snappy QT wiring guide.

:7-bouncin:

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Nice compact unit CB! I've had pretty good luck with the amazon pir's once I worked out the oscillation problem.AEH's circuit is being a bit stubborn though with that problem. It may be caused by something in the chip programming.
And you are right, Brian is DA MAN with the inverter circuit.
How long do you estimate the 9volt battery will last?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
shrtcirkt,

I'm not sure how long the 9v battery will last, but there wasn't room for anything bigger. The Amazon, (actually COMedia Ltd.) PIR draws 350-400 micro-amps in standby mode. I bought 2 of these PIR's from a place called Circuit Specialties in Arizona last summer when I tried building a camera, before I found this site. My etched board is pretty low power also, so I would expect it to last several rolls of film, even in cold weather. I have a multimeter, but I just have been too lazy to hook it up. I guess I'm just not as thorough as Tinhorn, Arch and Brian. I will put it on the meter when I get it back from the woods!

Max,

The housing is a Compaq accessory case, they were going to throw them away! So I grabbed some a couple years ago, I guess I should have grabbed more! I think they originally held PC card stuff for laptops, when I got them they were filled with foam. I'm not sure how weather-proof they will be, but I guess I will find out soon!

I just set this camera out tonight in a high traffic area, so I should have some test pictures by next week!

CB

Top Bottom