My Man Thursday with Mustang Guide Service

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
This spring I've had to cancel 2 other hog hunts for various reasons (not the economy) and have been sitting on these NR tags and wondering what kind of soup they are gonna taste like. I was able to book a day hunt with Frank Morasci of Mustang Guide Service at the last minute before we head back to the cowboy state next week.

Got up at 2:15AM drove down to King City and met up with Frank Morasci at 5AM. Drove down to his San Ardo lease. He dropped me off on a high ridge at 6AM and gave me a radio and he went to work on the San Ardo oil fields. Said he would give me a call around 8:30AM.

I still hunted the low oak tree's on the north facing side of the ridge with the wind in my face. Only finding old sign and old pig beds and rooting. Got to the end of the ridge around 8:30AM and Frank calls on the radio. Great timing. Said to diagonal off the ridge down to the road and he would pick me up and we hit another area.
Half way down the ridge I come to nice level spot and I see a pig rise from its bed. It is stretching and sunning itself. This pig is all black, then another one that is brown with black spots rises and I try to make a snap decision of which one to shoot. Both are about the same size, but the black ones vital's are staring at me. So I fire off the 40-50 yard shot with the 7mm STW and more pigs jump up and are running and snorting all around, and the black one is gone. Wondering if I pulled the shot or not. I walk up to the spot and I see blood and big chunk of lung tissue. I follow the blood trail about 100 yards downhill and find the 100 pound sow
piled up. The copper 160gr Barnes TSX bullet was a complete pass thru and I felt like I was trailing a bow shot animal.

Is an easy drag to the truck and back to the oil field for skinning. I'm on the road home by 10AM! Now I need a nap!

I know this doesn't live up to hachet1 standards but it's the best I can do today. Maybe he can give me lessons next year.:lol bashing sign:

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Not too shabby! Best of all, you got your hog instead of having to eat those tags.

Congrats! :toast-yellow:

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
just wish I could be around for the Tejon JHO POR later this month. Maybe next year, do another archery one too!

jd1

Reaction score
wyemjohnson,
Nice job on the little porker. Them little ones are much better tasting.

JD

el hunter

Reaction score
Great job on the hog wyemjohnson.Looks like a nice place to hunt. Im also considering a hunt with frank if you dont mind me asking what is he charging these days for a hog hunt.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome last minute trip..Glad you connected..Frank has some dialed in ranches!!!!

559hog

Reaction score
Nice! I might give him a call haha. I don't want to eat my pig tag this season :(.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
HOT DAMN!!!!JOHNSON!! WAY TO GET ER DONE BY YOURSELF!!ANY HOG DOWN,
IS A GOOD HOG DOWN MY MAN..IM GLAD SOMEBODY IS PICKING UP THE SLACK...
I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET OUT THIS WEEK..LITTLE THING CALLED WORK GOT IN MY WAY..IM WITH YOU ON THE COPPER..ALWAYS CHECK AFTER THE SHOT AS MANY TIMES YOU WILL NOT GET A REACTION AS THAT COPPER PILL ZIPS THRU THEM WITHOUT EXPANDING LIKE HOT BUTTER!!CONGRATS ON THE HOG DUDE!!!

Top Bottom