My new pup

Nufo

Reaction score
Haven't posted in this forum before. I recently aquired a Black Fell Hunting Terrier from a friend. He's real leggy and gonna be on the large side of about 20lbs or so. My buddy did this breeding with the intentions of a little larger sized dog for slightly larger game. Can't wait till this winter to start sending him through all the drain pipes on the ranch. I've been thinking it would be cool to get a Lurcher (whippet cross) or Cur dog to catch the game when it bolts.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Nufo

Reaction score
My primary reason for wanting a small terrier is for busting quail out of the dense brush that I hunt in and so far he seems perfect for it. He will go through anything. My secondary reason is as a blood trailer for deer (although I haven't needed one since I was 12, everything I have shot since hasn't taken another step)

I've been thinking about starting him on coon, possum and a little ratting when he gets around a year old. I'd love to be able to run dogs for Bobcats or hogs but figure it would take a few curs or hounds to do that well and I'm just not ready to make that leap. I'll start small until I figure out how to do things well. I was able to hunt behind my buddies terriers a couple of times his dogs are seasoned go to ground hunters from the midwest but we are just learning how to hunt them in the country we have availalble which is pretty much undigable.

Reaction score
youd be surprised what a little terrier can do. I have a hunting partner who hunts hogs with dogs on a regular basis. When we go together he brings a few dogs and i bring a few. He also goes alone a great deal of the time. When he does he brings one rat terrier x jagd terrier. That little dog has bayed the biggest hogs ive ever seen. The hog pays little to no attention to it. That little dog will bark its head off while the hog walks around or just stands there eating/rooting. Meanwhile hes sneaking quietly to the bark and pops that sucker with a 44. Biggest hogs Ive ever seen were bayed by the smallest hunting dog I have ever seen as well. Them little pocket rockets are a blast to watch as well.

Reaction score
On point I forgot to make is you might wanna decide what you want your dog to hunt soon if you are considering hunting for hogs or other game with other guys. A dog that chases a deer track, runs coyotes or catches opossums might not mix too well with most hog doggers or houndsman who run dogs that chase only pork, cats, or bears. Having a trashy dog is a tough habit to break. Especially if its a habit you have trained into a dog at a young age.

Nufo

Reaction score
I'm not so sure if my little dog will do to well on hogs since he's got a little fire power breed into him. His mom is a 14lb proven go to ground terrier. My buddy crossed her with a little 30lb game dog. I think he'd be his own demise on hogs. My buddy has all the pups out to friends in the midwest and even back in Ireland. He did the cross to get a bigger harder dog for busting coyote dens. We plan to breed the good ones back into the fells and do some crosses to make lurchers.

I'd love to get into hog hunting with dogs but finding guys in my area who are willing to teach are tough to come by.

Nufo

Reaction score
Well he ended up getting on a boar while we were on our family vacation up in humboldt county. He found this boar trying to sneak into the yard to get apples that are falling on the ground. He bayed him and the boar payed no attention to him as he was running circles around him and barking in his face. When I came up, I called my pup off. When this happened the boar bailed and my pup turned and took off after him (picture)

Nufo

Reaction score
And of course this was the first year I did not bring my 44mag Ruger SBHBH with me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom