My new Taylor & Company Schofield top break in 45 LC. Are they Uberti or separate company?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
I finally found the Schofield top break in 45 LC Ive been wanting. Uberti and Cimmaron were out of the .45LC. About $1100 for one. I got the 7 inch barrel, they are also available in 3 1/2 and 5 inch barrels.. Other calibers you can get are the .38 SP and 44-40.

This is one of the guns the cavalry used in the Civil War. Jesse James rode with this gun and did several others in their unit under Lt. Quiantrell and General Joe Shelby in MO. Easier reloading on a horse was the reason. Unloading the cylinder looks easy with one push on a rod but how the heck did they reload and hold on to the reins? Maybe thats why these raiders carried a brace of pistols on their saddle and another brace of pistolas on their belt.

I had never heard of Taylors, in the dealers catalog it looked like they were part of Uberti?

schofield_top_break_model3_taylor.JPG

schofield_top_break_model3_taylor_open.JPG

P304X4

I've seen where some carried pre-loaded cylinders but not being familiar with this pistol I don't know if that was an accurate statement or not. How hard would it have been to just change out a loaded cylinder on horse back?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
I've seen where some carried pre-loaded cylinders but not being familiar with this pistol I don't know if that was an accurate statement or not. How hard would it have been to just change out a loaded cylinder on horse back?

I think it would be tricky either way. One hand has to stay on the reins right? Maybe hold the reins and pistol at same time and use free hand to do the work? Who wants to experiment for us to find out?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
This may be the origin of knotted reins. Tie them together, then loop them over one wrist so you have both hands to load at speed.

Top Bottom