My Pattern Results with Hevi-Shot

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Let me say up front that all my patterns were shot at only 30 yds. I used NWTF NBB Targets which I think are very practical for patterning a shotgun for Turkey Hunting. These targets consist of a "main" life-size Wild Turkey Gobbler target with seperate 3M post-it targets that match the "main" target that you apply over the head and neck. After each shot you simply peel off the used target and apply a new one. The 3M post-it targets are 12in. X 18in. The "main" target is 3ft. X 4ft.

The results as follows:  (all shells are 3 in. shot thru a Rem. 870 w/ 21in.  barrel)
                                                            head & neck area     brain & neck bone
* Federal #5 (Rem. super full tube)                        36                             11
* Hevi-Shot #5 1225 fps (super full tube)                59                             20
* Hevi-Shot #5 1300 fps (super full tube)                65                             10
* Hevi-Shot #5 1225 fps (Hevi-Shot tube)                52                             11
* Hevi-Shot #5 1300 fps (Hevi-Shot tube)                77                             19
NOTE: if you don't treat this load like a .22
        rimfire and really draw a bead on him
        you will miss him clean @ 30 yds.

Before I get hit from all sides let me explain why I did the comparisons. I have used Rem. 2X6 shells for the past 7 years with great results. These shells are no longer in production and I wanted to find something else to use (as of today I only have one shell left). After much research I found out that the Hevi-Shot also is a duplex shell. A friend at a local Sporting Goods store had one that he cut open and showed me the shot. The shot size is not only duplex (2 shot size in one shell) but I counted multiple shot size from #7 to #4 inside a shell labeled #6 shot. Yes these shells are expensive but so is reloading or "handloading" centerfire cartridges in order to fine tune an accurate load in your deer gun.

In closing, I am by no means saying that Hevi-Shot is the ultimate Turkey load. As a matter of fact, I have been hunting for the past week with a custom Model 12 Win. with 2& 3/4 #5 Federal shells thru a Briley tube that will hold it's own in the Turkey woods. I just had a little extra time and cash on my hands and wanted to give them an honest try at the pattern board. I am pleased with the results and the next time I head out after a Tom with my 870 it will have the Hevi-Shot tube installed and 1300 fps #5 Hevi-Shot will be in the chamber.
**p.s. I noticed no damage to my barrel or tubes after this testing.                  

(Edited by cedar N sandy at 11:48 am on April 18, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the report!

I have ZERO experience with Hevi-Shot,

We measure quantity of lead shot by ounces,  (e.g. 3" 2 oz #6 shot)  I assume Hevi-shot is just that, heavy, so how does pellet count compare to lead shot pellet count in a 3" shell,  any idea?

Thanx

Tinhorn

maytom

Reaction score
Thanks for the testing!! I really feel that this shot material will be the wave of the future once more companys start marketing it. The price will come down as well, because of it. I have always had great success with the Winchester 3" HV 1 3/4oz of #5's turkey load. But I can see where this Hevishot carries more energy with a smaller shot size. They claim that their #6 shot hits just as hard as a #5 lead!! Think about that statement for a second. #6's hiting just as hard as #5's!! How many more #6 pellets per ounce are their compared to #5's, and they will be hitting just as hard!! All I can say is that in the near future, you will see more on this great new shot!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom