My Pix LE and P-32

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

I've wired up my P-32 and tested it. Touching the power and ground wires together turns the camera on and off. Touching the shutter and ground wires together snaps a picture.

The problem is, when I hook it up to my new LE board, T.M. (and I've tried this on an older non-T.M. LE board as well), it will only snap a picture when the LCD screen is turned ON. When I turn the LCD screen off, the camera powers on, but won't snap a picture.

This is a new behavior to me. Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

-Witty

Witty

Reaction score
UPDATE:

When I stuck a 128MB memory stick in the camera, my new LE board (T.M.) started working as expected. My old non-TrailMode LE board, turns the camera on, but doesn't take a picture... with the LCD neither on nor off. Shucks!

-Witty

wtnhunt

Reaction score
That is strange, should trigger the shutter whether the lcd is on or off. Should not have anything to do with the boards either unless one board is bad or you have them miswired somehow. Are you sure the power, common, and shutter connections are the same with both boards?

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty darned sure it's all hooked up correctly. Like I said, the camera works as it should without a board... powers up correctly, snaps a picture correctly. The LE boards are exactly the same except for the chip... both Rev 2. The old one has a "regular" chip, the new one is with TrailMode.

I have the camera plugged into the board at J2 #1, #2, #4... that's shutter, ground, and power respectively. My new board (apparently) doesn't require dipswitch #6 to be in the ON position. With all dipswitches set to OFF, it's ready (and works, now that I have a memory stick in place) with my P-32.

My old board needs dipswitch #6 set to ON to make it ready for DSC-PXX cameras... the rest are set to OFF. I've been through all the camera settings (for lack of anything else to try), and that looks good. I wish I had another camera to try, but I don't. I think the old board might have a kink in it, I guess.

-Witty

PaPaBob

Reaction score
On the one that is acting up try changing dip switch #9 to UP/ON as this will slow down the shutter event. Maybe the camera's flash cap is getting weak and taking longer to become picture taking ready. Also, remember that the P32 cameras can only use the MS sticks up to 64 mb and when you go to 128 you should start using MS Pro. The MS Pro cards are faster to be read by the camera. The P32 is a little different in that it reads the card like you computer does when you boot up each time you power on the camera. If the time it takes to read the card is longer than the time that the Pix board is giving it as an average then the shutter event is being triggered before the camera is ready to take the picture. This is why I suggest using a little big slower shutter event timing. #9 will do that for you.

Good luck.

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the idea Bob. Sadly, the results are the same. It powers on, but won't snap a picture. I am using a MS Pro (SanDisk) and like I said, with the new LE board, it works fine... firing shot after shot in TrailMode, flash n' all. Anyone interested in troubleshooting the board first-hand? I'll pay ya!

-Witty

PaPaBob

Reaction score
This really sounds like a connection problem. Even tho you have tested the camera we haven't tested the actual connections at the board itself. With everything plugged in turn ON the camera manually. Now using a small wire bared at both ends touch the small rectangular openings on the red plug for the shutter(j2-1) and ground(j2-2). My suspicions are that the wire connection from the camera is not connecting fully to the board for J2-1(shutter). We know the ground works but there could be an issue with the shutter wire.

Let me know.

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting...

OK, I plugged everything in, connected it altogether like it was ready for the woods. I manually turned the camera on, then powered up the board. Then, as you suggested I touched the shutter and ground together with a piece of spare wire, right at the plug in the little square holes, and... VOILA! It did indeed snap a picture (flashed too).

So now what? Haha!

-Witty

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Please check the actual IC chips on the boards. The trail mode chip should have written on it LE TM but the original chip should be either blank or just say LE. If it says LE II then that is the wrong chip for the P32.

Can you post a picture of the connections to the control board?

Witty

Reaction score
Here we go...

I haven't cut off the extra wires from the camera plug yet (out of fear)... like the green wire you see there. But I have the ends taped off and tucked out of the way. Let me know if anything needs clarification. None of the chips have anything written on them other than the manufacturer "stuff". Thanks!

-Witty

Attachments

PaPaBob

Reaction score
wiring looks just fine. Have no fear as you can just pull out the unused wires like the GREEN wire on the RED plug. Just remove the J2-3 and J2-5 wires in the RED plug.

The IC chips are on the opposite side of the LE board. Pull up the board and look at the large black chip which would be across from where the dip switch component is on the near side of the board. Just thought you might be looking at the wrong component.

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

I figured I'd remove the unused wires when I made sure I had it wired up correctly (and the unit working properly), which looks to be the case. As for the chip... yep, I checked the one on the backside. It's blank, as in, no writing on it aside from the manufacturer's codes, etc.

I tried your test again, but this time, I touched the the ground and shutter poles together from the underside of the board and it snapped off a picture. So, we know that it's wired correctly, from the camera to the plug in the board... and we know that the shutter and ground poles of the J2 "thing" on the board itself working.

-Witty

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Man we are running out of options here . . . let's turn the flash OFF. Top button on the back until you get the circle/slash icon on the screen. Let's see if the charging of the flash is keeping the camera from becoming camera ready in time for the shutter event.

Test it again and if no picture then change dip #9 also to slow the shutter down again to see if the no flash and longer shutter time will do it.

wtnhunt

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I'm pretty darned sure it's all hooked up correctly. Like I said, the camera works as it should without a board... powers up correctly, snaps a picture correctly. The LE boards are exactly the same except for the chip... both Rev 2. The old one has a "regular" chip, the new one is with TrailMode.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I have the camera plugged into the board at J2 #1, #2, #4... that's shutter, ground, and power respectively. My new board (apparently) doesn't require dipswitch #6 to be in the ON position. With all dipswitches set to OFF, it's ready (and works, now that I have a memory stick in place) with my P-32.

My old board needs dipswitch #6 set to ON to make it ready for DSC-PXX cameras... the rest are set to OFF. I've been through all the camera settings (for lack of anything else to try), and that looks good. I wish I had another camera to try, but I don't. I think the old board might have a kink in it, I guess.[/b]
For the le board that is not trail mode, dip 6 should be up or on, all the others should be off for the p32. Have you tried swapping the chips from one board to the other to see what happens? Might be worth a try. It might be possible too that a dip switch may not be all the way in the right position, would check to make sure they are all firmly set with the board power off.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
You can try wriggling that dip switch #6 to make sure it is being read correctly but past experience has it that if the board can't read that switch it will then act as if it is OFF which would trigger the code for a LANC camcorder connection and start blinking 10 RED LED flashes over and over as it can't make a LANC communication thru a LANC cable which is not there.

I am going to throw out some things that others have had issues with and I don't suspect this with you as you seem to have experience with these units.

Make sure the rotating switch on the back of the camera is set to picture taking. . . if it were set to picture review then it would turn ON and then back OFF but never take a picture due to it's mode which is how your unit is acting.

Make sure no error messages are cropping up on the LCD screen as this will keep the camera from taking a picture.

Make sure that there is a memory card in the camera and that it is not FULL as either of these will keep it from taking a picture.

Let's hope it is one of these simple issues that can be fixed quickly. . .

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for you patience and contributions.

Bob, I tried the no-flash idea... nada, same problem. But I've actually noticed another behavior that MAY help. I din't really make note of this before because in my drive to get this thing to snap a picture, my multiple movements were hiding the behavior I'm about to describe.

1. Under any and every set-up (flash on, flash off, etc.), when I trigger the PIR, it takes just shy of 3 seconds for camera to power up... perhaps this is normal.

2. If I don't trigger the PIR again while the camera is on, it will STAY on, seemingly indefinitely.

3. After 30 seconds of waiting for the camera to turn off by itself, I trigger the PIR again... and in just shy of three seconds or so, the camera will turn off.

Does that make sense?

wtnhunt... good idea. I tried that and got positive results. The new LE T.M. chip in the old board works like a charm. It powers up quickly, snaps a picture (with flash) and shuts off... all within a reasonable and expected time frame.

So... now I'm going to try the old chip in the new board and see if I can isolate the issue to the chip itself. Thanks!

-Witty

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

OK, so I tried the old chip in the new board and got the same negative results. So I guess the chip is "bad". Darn.

What's funny is (and maybe this is a clue to the solution, I don't know), while the camera was sitting there, powered on, board powered on, nothing happening, I just switched off the battery to the board and the camera snapped off a picture (with flash). Does that mean anything?

-Witty

PaPaBob

Reaction score
After all of that it sounds like both boards are just fine. The LE TM chip is working as expected as is the P32 camera. Problem child is the LE original chip. The ON, stays ON, then turns OFF at the next PIR event tells me that the chip is shot. I would contact Pix via email and ask to purchase another. Or ask them for a replacement if this chip and board has been purchased recently. I am sure they will still provide that kind of support for you. I think the cost of the chips were $6 plus a couple bucks for shipping.

You can always ask around here if anyone has an extra LE original chip. Maybe you can get lucky with that one.

Witty

Reaction score
Hi,

Yea, it's a shame, but at least we figured it out. I really appreciate everyone's help in troubleshooting this with me. I'm gonna contact Pix and hope for the best. Thanks again!

-Witty

wtnhunt

Reaction score
Good you got it figured out. Hope Bill will have a replacement chip for you, bet if he does not though that someone would be able to come up with one over on the pix forums.

Top Bottom