my son drew a J20/X7b tag

mallarditis

Reaction score
My son drew a J20 tag (X7b) and I am hoping someone can give me a bit of help. We have a couple of scouting trips planned but I'm really going in there cold as I have never hunted the area and am not familiar with it at all. Any tips would be great and appreciated.

MQ

Reaction score
Check around Stampede Reservoir. Good luck to your son.

rajnerb

Reaction score
Both my sons got there deer in x7b. One was taken near Stampede Reservior on the east side and the other above the campground of the first lake you hit when you drive in. I believe that is boca reservior. The campground is in about a 1/4 mile to the right. A logging road out of camp will take you up the mountain. We saw a couple nice bucks off that road on a scouting trip and my 13 year old took a nice 4-point on his first morning up there. Also there are some logging roads around stampede that are in easy flat walk for a youngster. The following year my 15 year-old and I quietly walked around those roads and kicked out a couple of nice bucks, but he could never get the shot off. He settled for a spike on the only weekend he could be there. I think if he had another weekend, he could have got a better deer. On our original scouting we ran into 6-8 bowhunters in a more remote camp . They were hunting the flats in the open timber and shared with us that they had already missed a few times. If you can get up there to scout, it will definitely help. We also were told Boca Hill was a good place. We hunted up and down and never kicked a deer. Doesn't mean we didn't walk right by them. Anyway hope this helps. Good Luck!!!!!!

hntndux

Reaction score
Mallarditis, don't forget to get back to me when you get your map. I'll most likely be camping at Boca Springs Campground during the opener.

Duknutz

Reaction score
There's been quite a few bucks taken on Boca hill,don't rule it out because its close to the freeway.I killed my first buck there,on a solo hunt when the trees were small.Saw some nice deer while scouting....

mallarditis

Reaction score
Thanks guys - great help as always, My son hunted his ass off last year in A-zone with no opportunities so he is really looking forward to this hunt. We're actually going to head up this Friday to scout the area around Boca and Stampede over the weekend.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom