My son drew J-10 FHL

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice on Jr hunts. I choose FHL because it is somewhat close to LA and if my son makes the football squad we can still make it there by early Saturday morning. I like the fact that FHL has an antleress hunt. The other two choices Anderson and Surprise Valley do sound very good. I will look into pig and A-season hunts just to scout it out.

Hopefuly my son will get a deer and maybe a pig with some luck.

leftyyhunter:smiley-mouse:

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
Congrats to your son Lefty:smiley-mouse: Now its time to prepare for the hunt.

map

Reaction score
Hello Lefty,

Stick with FHL, but you wont find any Mule Deer. I boar hunted there last winter, and the Blacktail Deer were grouped up in herds of 10, and sometimes as many as 18. All the exact same color too! What a beautiful sight with light tan coats and white under bellies. Deer usually have a dark dirty look to them, so that FHL herd is the best I've seen anywhere. Nice size for Blacktails, and I was able to get within shotgun range as they moved away from me.
I just finished going through the whole junior hunting cycle with my boy, and a Saturday morning hunt is about all you are going to get out of a teenager. Our tent was always as hot as hell when we returned to the campground, so it was easy to talk me into heading for home early. If you want to know what areas the herd groups up like that send me a PM.

Orygun

Reaction score
You should have little difficulty in seeing does when your hunting there. You should have a real nice time of it.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!:wavin hello:

Blacktails or hybrids are fine by me. The hunting gods have not been kind to me in terms of big game hunting not to mention too many mistakes. Norcal don't give up this is my sons 3rd draw. The other zones Sodhunter mentioned in my other thread on Jr hunting are better they have bigger deer but the odds of drawing are lower. My kid is a pretty dedicated hunter but I have to browbeat him to read a deer hunting book. Thanks map and XD I will pm you guys soon.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

Last edited:

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!:wavin hello:

Blacktails or hybrids are fine by me. The hunting gods have not been kind to me in terms of big game hunting not to mention too many mistakes. Norcal don't give up this is my sons 3rd draw. The other zones Sodhunter mentioned in my other thread on Jr hunting are better they have bigger deer but the odds of drawing are lower. My kid is a pretty dedicated hunter but I have to browbeat him to read a deer hunting book. Thanks map and XD I will pm you guys soon.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter
I'll be around. Plenty of time for your son.my :two cents: hit the range and practice, practice,practice.and we will hit FHL as much as we can before october.

easymoney

Reaction score
Congrats on the tag and taking your son. Should be pretty good and there are some nice bucks taken every year. It's a big place so you should have room to roam.
And do buy a pig tag, you just never know...

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks XD!

My son and I will apply for A-zone tags hopefully they haven't sold out and get a pig tag or two . I can supply San Miguel and steaks. I know Calijeephunter is interested and maybe some others. I like the Angeles Crest Range the only problem is I can't practice shooting up or down hill . I used to shoot int the Angeles Forest but it is to crazy there now.

Thanks ;
Leftyhunter

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
Lefty,

Don't be late on buying A Zone tag they only have 54,890 left as of today.

Or just drive to Los Alamitos DFG office and buy it there.:smiley-mouse:

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Los Alamitos is a bit of a drive.I will drop my apps in the mail and hope for the best.

Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Id,

Nice 4x4. My son saw it also, he liked it. My son will be happy to get any legal deer per the J-10 regs. I hope we do get lucky though and score a buck.

:wavin hello: Leftyhunter

Top Bottom