My wife is a notary public, can she countersign my tag if I get a deer?

DonQuixote

Reaction score
The regs say notaries can countersign, but want to make sure it's OK if you are related to the notary.

Thanks in advance.

hntndux

Reaction score
Yes, she just can't countersign her own tag.

DonQuixote

Reaction score
I asked on Facebook and someone was pretty adamant that she couldn't sign mine, but could sign a buddies. It's not a deal-breaker as one of my closest friends is a police officer. Would just be really convenient if she could.

Planetcat

Reaction score
Huntndux is right. She cant countersign her own tag. She can countersign yours though. Theres nothing in the regs that breaks down any type of relationship between the hunter and countersigner. Dont believe what you read on facebook. :)

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
There may not be any thing in the hunting regs. but I do believe it is against the rules of notary to notarize for a spouse. You decide.

It is perfectly legal to notarize documents for family members in California, so long as you don't have a personal interest in the matter.

Last edited:

Common Sense

Reaction score
Who cares, and who would ever know --- let her sign it, neither of you will go to the big house.

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
CALL DFG not FB why do guys ask law questions on websites or FB Get it from the source directly as things like this you need a solid answer from the source not a guess from FB

Protect yourself please

COWBOY50

Reaction score
My wife is also a notary... she can sign off tags for buddies and the like but cannot do so for family. If there is any way they can benefit from the action they are not allowed to sign.

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
Utt oh some say yes some same no what are you going to do??? DFG could answer your question and erase any doubt MAKE that call.... Then come back and tell us all please

DonQuixote

Reaction score
Hey dukngooshntr, you can see yourself out of this post. I have no use or time for smart asses. It was a question I thought would make for interesting discussion, this is a discussion board right?

Someone ban this dude already. Every comment he makes is snide, not helpful and obviously meant to start shit.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. Like I said earlier, I won't be relying on my wife. Was just curious what people's experience was.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think CDFW gives a flying ()*&^ if its a Notary its a Notory. I believe it is in the rules of Conduct of a Notary that prohibits a Notary from notarizing any docs that they MAY have a personal gain in

Bankrunner

Reaction score
"Someone ban this dude already" If it was drafted up, I'd sign off on that :)

KTKT70

Reaction score
Not sure if it's a rule or just the way things are done. But when I was younger and needed things signed off, my father did my friends but not mine. We had my papers done by another officer. I think at some rank you can do the notary thing.

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
Not a snide remark at all just saying you should be safe rather then sorry right?? Hey if you wanna get a ticket that is fine with me I was just saying go to the source for the correct answer.. I didn't know offering you advice on where to get the CORRECT OFFICIAL answer was being a smart ass but now good luck I hope ricky ranger stops by to say hello...

DonQuixote

Reaction score
And I said before you even commented I'd be using one of a few LE officials I know to countersign, so no chance of any negative run ins with a ranger. It's obvious you just want to troll this thread like you do others I've seen.

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
Donny easy there boy no need for hostility I was just saying to contact the proper people for correct answers just like the other posts say pretty much the same thing... Contact the proper authorities for answers and dont rely on web sites or FB for answers because the ultimate guilt will be on you and not from a response on a site.. Just saying

DonQuixote

Reaction score
I appreciate that I can get the information from DFW. I never rely on anything someone on the internet says as the final say, but they can lead you in the right direction. I can get most of my hunting information from other sources, but I respect the folks here and their input. Sorry to get snippy, but there are respectful ways to communicate your point.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Well I found this:

The Secretary of State writes that a Notary should not notarize if the Notary is a party to the document or is financially or beneficially interested in the transaction (see the “Frequently Asked Questions” on the Secretary of State’s website). So, if you stand to benefit from the transaction involving your father, you should decline to notarize the document.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Well I found this:

The Secretary of State writes that a Notary should not notarize if the Notary is a party to the document or is financially or beneficially interested in the transaction (see the “Frequently Asked Questions” on the Secretary of State’s website).
Rules regarding notarizing for relatives vary in other states. Arizona Notaries may not notarize for anyone related to the Notary by marriage or adoption. Florida and Massachusetts prohibit Notaries from notarizing the signatures of their spouses, parents or children. Nevada also prohibits notarizing for grandparents, grandchildren, half-siblings, adopted children and adopted siblings. Maine prohibits a Notary from notarizing for the Notary’s spouse, parent, sibling, child, spouse’s parent, spouse’s sibling, spouse’s child or child’s spouse. Michigan, Mississippi and Nebraska prohibit Notaries from notarizing for a spouse, ancestor, descendent, or sibling including in-laws, steps, or half-relatives. North Dakota, Iowa, Oregon and West Virginia prohibit Notaries from notarizing for their spouses.
Many other states discourage Notaries from notarizing for immediate family members. An Alabama Attorney General Opinion states it is a “better practice” for Notaries to refrain from notarizing for immediate family members. Commissioning officials in the following states caution or advise Notaries against notarizing documents for relatives: Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
If asked to notarize for a relative, be sure to check your state laws to confirm it is permitted before proceeding.
To avoid any appearance of bias, as a general practice the NNA recommends that Notaries avoid notarizing documents for close relatives, even if permitted by state law.
Bill Anderson is Vice President of Legislative Affairs with the National Notary Association

DonQuixote

Reaction score
Thanks, OPAH. Will opt out of having my wife countersign. Figured it was a long shot.

Top Bottom