n00b : Hunting Eyewear - Question / Opinions please.

TheGDog

Reaction score
You're supposed to always wear eyes and ears when you shoot. Do all of you always wear glasses when you shoot while hunting? What tint is best for hunting such as deer and bear where you are in and out of light and shaded areas?

Ears? No problem... I have the Home-Depot 3M ear-plugs that are mounted on a U-shaped piece of plastic.. so great.. just always wear that around the neck for easy quick access. Cool, got it.

But Eyes... I bring a pair of sunglasses with me with a CROAKIES attached to it so I can have it around my neck when not on me. But... though they are a brown tint and not crazy dark... not so good for when in the shadows in a canyon in the morning. So I inevitably have to take them off. So my first question/thought is... what is the best shade for glasses for hunting, overall? I'm now thinking yellow/amber/rose would be the best overall right? The goal being a pair of glasses you can keep on all day and never have to take them off when you go from light to shaded areas.

Also... a bigger problem I have is that my body radiates sh!t-tons of water vapor when exerting. I've always had the problem... for example.. when Mountain Biking... that once the going gets more slow and technical (less air rushing thru) whatever glasses I'm wearing will fog-up with the water-vapor exuding from my head. Same thing happens when I try to use my binos and raise them up to my eyes. Conscientiously remembering to use my lips to exhale downward... helps slightly... as well as purposefully holding them slightly farther away from my brow... but still the steam just emanating from my face/head makes things problematic. Don't think there is much I can do for the binos situation... but for the sunglasses situation... I'm asking you all for which type of sunglass/shooting glasses you've found that you can keep on all day, don't have to take them off, and don't have problems with them fogging up on you when you're exerting heavy... such as when ascending a hill/following a game-trail sideways across a slope?

Any insights or user-reviews of glasses you like is appreciated. Thank You.

-G

Montaj629

Reaction score
For dear, I do lot wear any eye protection. I figure the limited amount of shooting doesn't make sense for me to worry about it. Sunglasses impair me when scouting around. I am constantly gladdig and sunglasses are a pain to take on/off when hunting. I just have a good hat with a black bottom of the bill. Cuts the glare pretty good. If you truly prefer glasses, I know Oakley has some sunglasses with vents on the lenses to allow more air flow.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I wear glass eyeglasses. I do a lot of wire-wheeling on a bench grinder and don't wear goggles, so I pay an extra ten bucks for tempered glass each time I get new glasses.

When hunting I never wear ear protection; but if I target shoot I wear ear plugs or muffs. As a youngster, I went through a lot of 20 gauge shells without ear protection and it did effect my ability to hear -- especially high pitched sounds. (On the positive side, chirping crickets don't keep me awake at night cause I can't hear them.)

TheGDog

Reaction score
I have that same situation on my right ear (can't here the ultra highs). Because of two events that occurred at different times. One was falling sideways into a pool and that ear smacking directly flat against the surface of the water. The other was during an era when I was working out brutally hard and got up middle of night to urinate (standing-up) in the bathroom and passed-out (turns out every guys blood pressure lowers at initial begin of urination, that and being fatigued and it being 2:30am to further the blood pressure dropping to pass-out levels)... which caused me to pass-out and fall backwards across my temple, ear, base of skull to smack into the hard lip of a stand-up shower stall resulting in basal skull fracture and blood bleeding out from inside my ear. And.. Oh Joy... the result of that fracture was that a couple days later I also developed at acute case of Bell's Palsy on that side of my face. Couldn't even close my eye on that side! Had to hold it shut when showering. Lube it up before sleeping at night. Thankfully seeing ENT guy who did series of facial nerve stimulator sessions and Prednisone to bring down the swelling of the fracture area near the foramin thru which the main trunk of nerves passes into the facial area to innervate all those muscle eventually brought it back, though I still have a difference in the brow on that side just a hair. Yeah... fun stuff.. and oh yeah... during that time I learned that we all have this muscle that we don't control consciously... which what is does last minute it causes our lips to move out of the way of our Teeth when we bring our teeth together when chewing. You have no idea how fvcked up it feels to bite the everlovin' sh!t outta your own damn lip full-on... until you've experienced a Palsy!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom