n00b QUESTION: Upcoming Thunderstorm D15

TheGDog

Reaction score
So... place I've been going in D15. Been super hot. But looks like tomorrow is 50% chance of Thunderstorms and 99 F.

So... would the hunting logic be... to go out there AFTER the rain? OR... since it's been soo hot... go there DURING the rain... in order to maximize your chances of seeing a buck?

I seem to recall everyone saying AFTER is usually better. But I'm thinking with it being soo hot... if I was a buck I'd totally try to get a free bath out of it... especially since it'll still be hot and dry off fast.

What say ye?

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
honestly I would go in the morning. Business as usual, and if it rain it rains. Weather always seems to work out for the hunter...plus most history I have had an from what people have told me too, the deer like being in the rain. Given it keeps the bugs off of them.

TheGDog

Reaction score
I was there in the morning on Monday... until 12p. At this particular spot we've seen them come thru on cams... and nothing. I even put out Scent wicks with Blacktail specific Doe Estrus. Every once in awhile I'd blow a soft Buck Grunt. When the wind would occasionally pickup... I'd blow a Doe Bleat... hoping that some buck who'd catch a whiff of the Estrus might hear the bleat and come trottin' in looking for some tail.

When I made decision to leave because of not feeling so good from the heat and the ThermaCell stuff was bothering my bronchial tubes... the bow was on the back of pack and the P.O.S. quiver fell off again without me realizing it! I made the decision to not backtrack for it because of my load, and the heat. Since I couldn't know how far back I might have to track so said screw it and went on.

So today got new better quiver and a better trigger release. Good thing too because while testing releases... my freaking arrow rest must have come loose... so the guy at the shop notice it had dropped down... so thankfully since I was dropping some coin he took the time to reset and level my arrow rest... and also have me shoot it some more and re-tweak the sight accordingly. So I was thinking maybe tomorrow I'd got the range and practice again. My hunting partner had spoken with some hunters we met out in D11 on Saturday when looking for Bear and we're thinking of joining up with them to go out to somewhere along GMR.

Damn... now you got me seriously thinking about going in there again. Especially since I took PTO for this week.

matt392

Reaction score
My experience is deer move after a rain/storm. However, there is never a "bad" time to be in the field.

OVHunter916

Reaction score
I think it varies by the intensity and timing of the rain. The first rain of the season usually brings dry country Blacktails/muley crosses out. If the rain is warmer, light or scattered showers being out all day in it can be productive. However, if the rain is heavy, hard, and/or unusually cold it is my experience the deer will hunker down and move the next day. I'm not sure when D11 deer rut, but it's probably a little early to be going with the doe urine and grunt calls...

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

TheGDog

Reaction score
Well Quack... I'm going out there this am. I will refrain from the grunt calls and the scent wicks then OVHunter, thanks.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Doug I would say go when ever you can, more time In the field = more chances for that buck. But take some chains with you even with 4X4 those roads get slick. enjoy the rain and the fresh pine in the air and that buck that going to present its self to you this morning.

Captjgray

Reaction score
Heres what I have seen

the rain we have in the forecast is not an all day storm
that being said the deer should be moving most of the day with the cooling air temps and moisture.

But be very careful, the lightning and flash floods can really put you in a pickle. Be safe and have fun
find a great place to glass and don't wear yourself out.

as far as the scent and grunts, way too early...

restes

Reaction score
if it was me I would try both you never know unless you try.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
as far as the scent and grunts, way too early...
For the big mature Bucks yes, but you can get a young forty all rutted up with scent
especially if there are does around, never used a grunt always used the bleep call it will stop
a buck In his tracks for that one shot!

Revo2811

Reaction score
For the big mature Bucks yes, but you can get a young forty all rutted up with scent
especially if there are does around, never used a grunt always used the bleep call it will stop
a buck In his tracks for that one shot!
If that buck is moving a loud whistle will stop him for that shot . But you better be ready to shoot or release that arrow. you will only have seconds.

?

TheGDog

Reaction score
So yeah... going out there yesterday.... bad idea. It came DOWN!!! I mean it REALLY dumped on the area like in an El Nino kinda way. I was the only creature dumb enough to not be "hunkered-down". Today would have been a much better day to go out there.

Advertisement

Top Bottom