Name change nominee

BigDog

Reaction score
I hunt a club for pheasant. Or colorfull chickens as I call farm raised birds. When my dogs flush them, I usually let them get up a fly before I shoot. I lose a few that way but the ones I get have a minimum of shot in them.
Last weekend, I took one of our group out to the club and he demonstrated a different method. When the dogs put up the 8th or 9th bird, it was very close to both of us. I pulled and then relaxed to let it get a ways out. But not Speckmisser. He was about 12 feet away from the bird when it went up. He pulled and he fired. I don't think I have ever seen a bird drop as fast. My dog Genny picked it up and brought it over. The head was gone. I had to lay my gun down because I was laughing so hard. He was going to make sure that bird did not get away.
Besides having a good laugh, we got 6 of the 10 we flushed.
Man, it always happens when you don;t have a camera....lol

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Well, I see the clickdog is back!

You only told HALF the story.  You forgot to mention he was coming right at us, with his big, yellow fangs bared.  He'd have torn us to pieces, I had to shoot!  

Talk about your instinct shots...  all I saw was pheasant head!  heehee...  At least I didn't miss at that range.

Hook

Reaction score
Well, at least you did'nt waste any of the meat. :guillotine:

EVAN III

Reaction score
  Head shooting Pheasent? :shoot-down: That must have taken time to perfect. Fangs huh???  Sounds like you guys lucked out. Good shot Speckmisser

foulshot

Reaction score
Is that a new way of field dressing out the birds?
I'll have to try that next time I go out.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the ticket.  I just hate picking out feathers and shot pellets, so I decided to head shoot from now on.  Yeah, I like the sound of that.

Advertisement

Top Bottom