Nantucket hunters

wireone577

Reaction score
Looking for any info that you can give me on hunting Nantucket as well as a place to stay. All responses will be greatly appreciated

deerdad

Reaction score
I know there was a link on MA wildlife with a map of the open areas
but I don't remember if there were lodging links included. I would think
that since you have to ferry out and find a place to stay it might not be
as busy as the Quabbin was. Any idea if there is a hunter limit or can countless
numbers of hunters show up? It sounds good but I know I don't plan on trying it.
Are you a glutton for punishment?

If you do get to go, I hope you score.

Greg

wireone577

Reaction score
deerdad. Its obvious i that i am. I had such a terrible season, i have to give it the old one more try. Besides, the whole cost of the hunt will be 25.00 for 5 doe tags and one bonus buck tag which none count towards yhe 2005 bag limit, and of course logeing will be around 60.00 a night for a room. I am hopeing to find some one local that can give me some inside info. None the less, i will let you all know what happens.

vineyardhunter

Reaction score
wireone577; go to Nantuckets chamber of commerce site, there are a lot of rooming houses- bed and breakfast types. The Jared Coffin House is first class also, but I think a little pricey. I live on the vineyard, I am working part time for a man from Nantucket. I will ask him if he has anyplace to hunt, or what info he has and get back to you. My wife said there was a letter to the editor about protest over the hunt, I will see if I can find it and try to post it up. I may try to get over there for a little while I can get free flights out of the vineyard to Nantucket. just will have to get a place to stay. If you drive over, get reservations for the boat early. here is the reservation number 508-477-8600, or go on-line- www.SteamshipAuthority.com and yu can get pretty much what you want.
vineyardhunter

wireone577

Reaction score
Thanks vineyardhunter, i really appreciate your input. I am jumping through hoops here to try and make this happen. I am hopeing everything comes together. Its fellow JHOers like yourself that make this the best group i have ever belonged to. Thanks again.
P.S. if you need to , e-mail me at "franmosso@charter.net"

wireone577

Reaction score
Well i was succsesful in securing Ferry reservations and logging. It seems that it is a go. Thanks to all for your input.

vineyardhunter

Reaction score
wireone577; glad you got over there, I read in the cape cod times that the hunt was going very well, the island as packed with hunters. I couldn't go I have been sick for the last two weeks after the blizzard, I worked 46 hrs ot and got run down ended up with a sinus infection that wont quit. let us know how you made out on the hunt. good luck, vineyardhunter.

pietromarc

Reaction score
The Cape cod times said that there were 8,000 cases of lyme disease, that is shocking!! Its makes a great case for pro-hunting.

I would love to see a picture of a ferry with a huge deer harvest on its deck..

wireone577

Reaction score
Well i'm back and i'm empty handed. Three days and didnt see a deer.
I did not see too many dead deer. The game warden on the island said the total number as of saturday was around 281 deer. This seems low for an island that has an estimated population of 2600 deer. There were two problems that i saw: First, scrub oak covers the island and it is ten times worse than mountain laurel and is almost inpenetrable. Second: There were large areas of the island that were not made available to hunting, care to guess where the deer went? This was labled as a population control hunt and thereby all areas should have been made available. Dont get me wrong, some groups did fine. Most did nothing. Any way, the merchants on the island should be happy. If they do it again and it is during a more traditional time frame, i think knowing the land and habitat like i do now, i would possibly try it again. I have to say, i could not walk anywhere without stepping in deer poop, so they were there but as we all know, they can read and know where to go and when to go.

deerdad

Reaction score
That stinks.
It sounded good but,....
Hey, I know of this place they call "Santas Land". There's
ALL kinds of deer there

Greg

pietromarc

Reaction score
That stinks! didn't even see one!! how hard was it to find a place to hunt? was there any ANTI-HUNTER protests rally etc etc??

wireone577

Reaction score
No sign of any anti's
When we got into the Inn we were staying at, they had a pretty good detailed map of areas to hunt. Found the best spot to be ( semi open woods ) a place called Squam Farm. Of course the only time you even had a chance to see anything there would be the first moments of sunrise. Otherwise you would have to beat the Scrub Oaks in hopes of either kicking one up or not dying from exhaustion due to the density of the Scrub Oak. If anyone ever hunts Nantucket during firearms season, i strongly reccomend a group of 8-12 guys. This way you can organize drives after the morning sit.
P.S. The Island has a rule that any harvested deer must be concealed from view at all times. The Ferry also has the same rule so seeing what the harvest looked like was not doable.

Top Bottom