feathermax

Reaction score
I use a radio shack PIR sensor in my trail cams, of which I now have 4 after a marthon building weekend.
The sensors are mounted using the original front half of the sensor protruding slightly  from the box (except one which has the frensal lense mounted flat).
Is there an effective way of narrowing the radius (left to right) at which the sensor will be tripped?
It seems at times something can enter the field of the sensor, yet not be in the frame of the camera. I am going to try using a couple small pieces of tape, but I am unsure of how much of the lense to cover.
I would appreciate any better suggestions.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
FM >> Since I covered my camera with Camo duct tape, I used the same to narrow the window. I found that it took two layers to cut down enough light to disengage the sensor.

When testing I lightley placed two layers over each side, narrowing window until desired range was established. Then I marked area to be taped and fitted accordingly.

Good Luck.

mike

Reaction score
I do the same as Arroehead! Using the camo tape.
I use the test led to fine tune the sensors range.
This cuts down on alot of blank pics.
GOOD LUCK

dharter

Reaction score
I just got a roll of pictures developed.  I had blocked off about 3/4" on either side of the ms20.  Out of 8 pictures 7 had nothing in them.  I think what happened is that the sensor triggered, but by the time the camera took the picture the deer had walked out of the camera's field of view.  I am going to add a refresh timer in the next one that I build.  But in the meantime I took off all the blocking that I had on the ms20 sensor.  And I have it pointed looking down the trail instead of at right angles.  2 picures of the same animal is better than none. I did get one picture of a small deer or fawn.

Possum

Reaction score
I have two camera.  One with the RS PIR and one with a MS20.  The RS I covered about 1/2 inch on each side and faced it across a road and it works great.  All the pics are dead center.  I haven't had a blank pic in two rolls. The MS20 I covered about a 1/4 inch on all FOUR sides and it seemed to like it.  All the pics were in the center with no false pics.  Note, all of the setups have been in the shade of trees.  I think some of the false pics are birds that are flying in front of the cameras.  Just a thought.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I have been using a 5/8" hole with the RS PIR, and it works perfect.  However, the position of the camera plays into the picture. For instance, I point the cam at a ditch crossing, or fence hole crossing  where the deer will pause. This will greatly reduce false triggers during trail use, plus I now only operate the cams from dusk to dawn. (night only) After looking at the stack of false trigger pictures (all day shots) that I got last summer, I had to give up.

Top Bottom