NBDC Qualifier. foxtails and off to the vet

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
Spent the day at Four Winds in Hemet CA trying to qualify Molly for the National Bird Dog Challenge.

Very interesting day. Met some good people, learned a bunch about their game and scored highest in the field I was in. Morning shoot and afternoon shoot were tough as the birds just would not stay in bounds. I got 2 out of 3 in the am and the same in the pm.

I almost didn't enter when I saw the fields. Foxtails were thick as hell. I was a little worried about Molly.

I should have listened to my self. Got home and got her out of the kennel and fed her a little kibble. Next thing I noticed she is sneezing like crazy and pawing her snout. She was in real distress in 15 mins.

Called the vet immediately and first thing he asks is have I fed her. Gotta wait 4 hours now and am meeting him at the office at 9:30pm.

Haven't been down this road before.

Wish us luck.........

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Best of luck to the pooch. I suspect that the vet asked if you fed your dog because the dog may have to go under total anesthesia maybe. MY last Beagle had to go through that twice. At any rate, hope the procedures go easy and well, and hope the pooch is feeling good by tomorrrow. My Beagle recovered within a day each time.

DblCluckr1

Reaction score
Glad your dog is ok, I was out there the week before and saw a lot of foxtails as well. How did you do otherwise/overall? Do you know who won?

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
There were 3 other fields so I do not know how we did overall. We were high score in our field for the morning shoot and the afternoon shoot.

I don't think we were competing so much against each other as we were competing across the country.

This was our first event ever so I don't know all the rules.

I am very proud of how we did!

Reaction score
...And we are SO PROUD for you both!

Sounds like fun just to go see...and to attempt to qualify for nationals is something many do not do!

Happy to read that Molly turned out to be okay. Scary stuff. I have heard of foxtails in the nose being very dangerous - especially if they go undetected at first...better to be safe...

We've had run-ins with cockleburrs (ugghh!!!) and feet cut open on glass (darn people littering), and rattlesnakes (avoidance classes work!), but no major problems with foxtails, luckily!

Best, Always,
Alicia

By the Way, The Bird Dog Challenge website does post scores and standings, but says it may take up to 2 weeks to verify and post them... http://www.nbdca.com/

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
Alicia

Everone there was impressed with Molly.

Everyone wanted to know her lineage!

Molly Merona von Jensen indeed!

BTW...Dr. Mike answered the phone at 5:00pm and said to meet him at 9:30 pm at his office on a Saturday night to sedate her and examine. Pretty rare IMO

Reaction score
That is the one most important thing that I like about Dr. Mike - he will come at any hour in an emergency.
Hard to find that in a vet in some places.
Stubby hates him...well, maybe Stubby hates all vets - not sure!

His feet hit that tile floor and he forgets how to walk! Pretty funny to see in a dog so sure of himself in every other way!

Talk to you soon!
Alicia

Top Bottom