ND hunters asking state to limit non-resident duck hunters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
April 03, 2002

Sportmen asking for out-of-state hunter reductions

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota sportsmen's groups are asking a legislative committee to endorse deep reductions in the number of licenses sold to out-of-state hunters.

The United Sportsmen of North Dakota, the state Wildlife Federation and the North Dakota Sportsmen's Alliance support a cap of 10,500 duck licenses for visiting hunters, said Mike Donahue of Bismarck, a spokesman for the United Sportsmen.

During the last hunting season, visiting hunters bought more than 30,000 duck licenses.

A limit of 7,500 licenses for out-of-state hunters to hunt pheasants and other upland game is also a good idea, Donahue told the Legislature's interim Judiciary "B" committee on Tuesday. The suggested number is about half last year's total.

Fred Heer of Bismarck said the limits should be coupled with increased license fees for out-of-state hunters.

Those steps should ease the pressure on desirable hunting land, and make it easier for North Dakota residents to find hunting spots, Heer said.

EVAN III

Reaction score
  Didn't Colorado try something like this, but for elk?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Ask the people who are responsible for tourism how they feel about this!

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
More importantly ask the taxpayer what they think of this.  Much of the various taxes hunters pay (duck stamp, P-R, etc) go to the Dakotas.  I feel for the folks that live there wanting to keep the resource better for themselves, but every hunter helped to make the CRP and other improvements residents enjoy.  So tough it up and if you don't like it - hop a jet to Little Rock and hunt timber.  As a US resident who has paid to improve migratory waterfowl conditions and populations I am entitled to utilize the resource anywhere in the US.  I have no problem limiting non-migratory species hunting as long as it is not enhances by federal project money.  Sorry folks of the Dakotas, but CRP is probably the principal reason for pheasant population rebounds and probably benefit almost ever huntable species.  So unless you want to have limited draws where residents and non-resident take part on an equal basis, I say boo-hoo.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Maybe states that limit no-residnet hunter oppurtunity should get a smaller piece of the pie.  I'm sure the legislatures would not like that.

huntducks

Reaction score
We as Non-residents should not have to pay a dime more then a resident to hunt any federal land or any land that's takes or uses federal TAX MONEY.

These states that have a pop. of less then LA county, realy think they are paying there own way, there is probley more tax revenues generated in one week in LA county then the whole state of ND in a year.

Why don't they deal with there real problem the number of licened guides they have.

ND has opened hunting on any land that is not posted, and many of these guides take advantage of that, and don't give a dime back to the land owner.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom