need a camera and electronics expert

gobblr

Reaction score
here we go again...... fresh batteries and all.  my camera (out of the unit) just keeps fireing....sometimes.  I took the thing apart and checked to see if I was getting a complete circuit. If I hold my probes one way i'm getting a good reading .....if I hold them the other.....I get about half.  I took the solder iron and removed the wires and the curcuit was all there touching the gold plates.....I put new wire on and everything was working great.  slapped it all back together hot glued the wires in....shorted the wires, everything was good.... for about a half hour!!!!...I left it on to test it out...... all of the sudden the thing started snapping again, then would half rewind (sort of) then just lock up.  I shut it off turned it back on and it would take one pic and quit....dead!!!  I took the batts out again put them back in, turned it on.....takes one pic, then rewinds and locks up.  agggggghhhhh!!!!  I tested the wires again....and now I'm getting a jumping on the needle.... if i have the probes one way .....and full curcuit the other.  it sounds as if the camera is constantly trying to focus as well. Also seems as if it gets worse the longer it's on.  Please help me out....I know nothing about electronics.  This unit was working fine all week..this all started when I brought it inside this morning.....

glen71

Reaction score
Just a guess, but it sounds like the wires are shorting at the camera, i.e., a common and autofocus short would make the camera try to focus. You may have to be more specific with exactly how you "shorted" the wires for someone to make a diagnosis.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi gobblr,
Is this an Owl PF??
If so...inspect the area where the shutter button contct board and the cameras main board are soldered together with all those pins.  There are often stray solder bits lodged in this area.  Clean out any junk between the pins and brush the area out with a small paint brush.  Also inspect the rest of the inside of the cam for any stray junk that might cause shorts.  Canon is VERY sloppy assembling these things (if Canon actually manufactures them)

Archilochus

gobblr

Reaction score
All checked out clean....I looked at all of that yesterday......  Funny it's working fine now.  I wonder if a bit of condensation got in there.  It's all good to go.  Fixed itself.....  Thanks a bunch guys...

Top Bottom