Need A quiet load

B

BDOG

I am looking for a quiet load for the 243.I know this should be posted on the reloading board but my alternative is to buy another gun. We wouldn't want to do that now would we. The problem is that I hunt close to houses and the 243 wakes up the whole darn neighborhood. Yes this will be used for coyotes. Thanks BDOG

songdog

Reaction score
I shoot a .243 quite a bit for coyotes but my normal loads are pushing a 55gr Balistic Tip at 4000 fps.  Quiet they are not.

I think you're going to have a tough time getting a reduced load for a .243 that you can actually notice a significant noise difference.  I've loaded down to about 2000 fps and the noise is pretty much the same.  Much of it comes from the sonic boom above about 1200 fps and I don't think that makes a difference if you're over by 100 fps or 2000 fps.  Loading something down to 1200 fps would probably only have 20-30% of the case capacity filled with powder even if you went with something like 700X.  As a result accuracy tends to suffer.

It's a more expensive option but you might consider a different round ike the .22 Hornet.  The noise difference is quite substantial and you can still push a 40 grain bullet 2700-2800 fps.  I've killed a lot of coyotes with this combo.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
songdog with a 22 Hornet what area on the yote do you shoot. Head or body shot??

songdog

Reaction score
I shoot for the normal chest area.  The load that my Ruger 77/22H seems to like (.7&quot is pretty mild.  It pushes a 40gr. bullet right at 2500fps.  That's only a little more than a .22 WMR.  

However, the bullet seems to perform more like a big game bullet than a varmint bullet at that speed.  It mushrooms rather than exploding like something going at 3500fps+.  Because of that, I think that I actually get more penetration than one that makes it a few inches in and then turns everything to Jello (Jello is still effective though).

I've recovered several and they look really cool.  Just a mushroomed mini bullet.  I haven't lost a coyote yet with this load (30+ shot with this load).  I don't shoot coyotes at more than about 150 yards with this round though either.  Past 150, I prefer a .243 or .22-250.

The Hornet is nice also for the recoil and noise not to mention that a lot of the time calling around here you get foxes and bobcats which are substantially smaller.  The Hornet doesn't make as big of a mess as a .243 on a little grey fox.

A pound of powder goes a long way when you're burning it 12 grains at a time too.

(Edited by songdog at 8:30 pm on Nov. 2, 2001)

PS - I can hear the coyotes yipping outside my window right now... giving me the urge to get out for some night calling!

(Edited by songdog at 8:32 pm on Nov. 2, 2001)

Hook

Reaction score
I agree with Songdog, I think the 22 Hornet is about the minimum for coyotes, as long as you can keep the distance down.

Songdog, I am ready to go......  :wink-yellow:

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom