need advice on a GPS

m48goat

Reaction score
hey everyone, so im planning on getting a gps soon..just cant decide which garmin i would like to get..i am going to put the hunting map chip in so i can see boundaries of private land and blm. this gps will be used strictly for hunting and backcountry.. i wanted to get one with a clear and accurate screen..i was thinking maybe something simple like the etrex 30 or maybe the gpsmap 62s or even a montana series...but i dont think i need the bells n whistles..just need one to be accurate and clear on showing where i am and priv/blm booundaries..thanks..look forward to hearing what you guys have and like or dont like!
-goat

Beastmode

Reaction score
I have the Oregon 550 which is basically the 450 with a camera and love it! Very user friendly and I really like the touch screen. I looked at the Montana but it is way too big IMO.

m48goat

Reaction score
how is the touch screen?battery life? and camera? and overall size, not too bulky?
sorry i have lots of questions haha

Beastmode

Reaction score
Overall size of the Oregon is just right. The built in camera is about 3.2 megapixels I think so it doesn't take high quality photos but it's better than nothing. You can set it up to put a picture with your gps coordinates which I think is handy for remembering places for scouting an what not. The touch screen is simple to use and not too sensitive. Within 15 minutes of having this thing turned on I had all the basics figured out.

My biggest and really only complaint with this unit is the battery life. If I turn the backlight way down I can get a day to a day and a half out of one set of batteries. I usually only mark a waypoint for the pickup an one for my camp and then keep the gps off. It picks up satellites within a minute of turning on and then I can get back to the truck or camp no problem.

m48goat

Reaction score
is the screen pretty detailed when displaying the map, as in where your standing and moving? pretty accurate?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Pick the model that suits your taste. Just make sure it's a Garmin.

ltdann

Reaction score
I've got the CSX 60 and love it. Good battery life, better than a full day on a set of batteries. Nice contrast for night and day use. Just enough bells and whistles to make it handy to have but not too complicated. Added an SD card and have the topo's for the entire state of CA and AZ on it. Got 'em free from the gpsfiledepot.com.

RLB

Reaction score
I've had 4 garmins and loved them all. My current one is a dakota 20. Battery life is about 2 days. My only complaint is I wish the dakota was a little bigger, guess I could always get a oregon. :)

Shoobee

Banned
Reaction score
"technology trap" -- a condition of dependence on a device that could result in a catastrophic failure due to human error or some other uncontrollable outside occurrence.

... so just make sure you have a compass in your day pack somewhere as well, and a print-out of the topo map that you plan to be using with the palm device you speak of, as a backup.

... better bring a spare battery with you too.

Top Bottom