• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Need Advice on DIY Caribou Trip - Alaska General Zones

bodega

I'm just starting to think about a trip to Alaska in early September 2011 for caribou and upland birds. The draw is over for the arctic caribou zones, but the area east of Faribanks looks to be a large, general tag zone. Anybody hunt caribou between Fairbanks and the Canadian border? Thinking of a 5 day fly-in drop camp. Any info would be appreciated, including areas and air service recommendations. Would be flying in to Fairbanks, and then heading out. Thanks in advance for your help.

ltdann

Let me know what you find out. My partners brother just found out that he's getting stationed on Kodiak and we were thinking about doing the same thing. Not sure what the rules are regarding DIY and out of state residents. Some species require a guide, but not sure about caribou.

Glass eye

No guide required for Caribou, only Grizzly/Brown bear, Dall Sheep, Mt. Goat. However, Your partner can hunt for those species without a guide IF he hunts with his brother (resident relative)

bodega

Bux, you're welcome to come along, of course! Last few days of August, first week of September. You will need to sleep in your own tent though, with all the meat and other grizzly-attracting food.

Top Bottom