Need advise, please help on meat delivery.

Bobbrown

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this Oct my dad and I will be hunting elk in CO. We plan to fly out there since time is limited for us not to drive from Ca. If we do get an elk, what would be the best and cheapest way to ship meat back to Ca?

I have read some have ship their clothing and gears back with ground carriers such as USPS, UPS, FedEx and then have whatever meat you can take with you on the airline as carry on luggages.

Is there any other cheapest way of shipping meat back? Thanks in advance for advices and tips. Much love and appreciation!!

Jake F

Reaction score
I've never had to ship meat but if you're going to bring it back on the airlines check the weight limits for the flight first. I have seen in LAX a guy giving away oranges to random people to get his box under the weight. In Alaska I saw a guy give the people behind him packaged salmon because his ice chest was too heavy. If I was you I think I would contact a local butcher in the area you are hunting. My guess is they will be more than experienced in shipping. Hope this helps. Good luck on your hunt. Keep us posted.

JohnCo

Reaction score
I don't have personal experience, but Steve Rinella says he finds someone to freeze the meat for him before bring it back. Either a butcher or restaraunt hold it overnight and freeze it solid. Don't want to ship unfrozen meat supposedly.

What Jake F said sounds like good advice. Start calling people in the area like butchers and sporting goods stores and find out what other out of state hunters do.

dustin ray

Reaction score
I would call the local butcher shop most can ship the meat if your in the Craig CO area Brother,s processing will do it. Two Elk is alot of meat at least three large ice chests. i have brought meat from Hawaii with dry ice a small ice chest i think that much meat it would be cheaper to ship your meat

julian999

Reaction score
I hunted exotics couple of times in texas and bring home meat with me as check in and carry on lagguage. Choose your airline that charge minimal amount / language. Virgin America charged $25 for first second and third. Jet blue $0 for first .$50 for second and third.
I Buy a cheap lightweight cooler, no dry ice on my experience. Just semi frozen and make sure you have a good tape to secure the cover. Just find a friend or a butcher that can freeze your meat .
goodluck on your hunt.

P304X4

Reaction score
I don't remember meat going through but many items have been shipped in 'dry-ice' with the outside of the container well marked as to the contents as well as handling instructions.

Bobbrown

Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice and tips, much appreciated.

jindydiver

Reaction score
We fly home with meat here in OZ a fair bit. The meat is frozen and packed into a ice chest or wrapped in insulation and packed in a duffle. It is then checked in as excess luggage. The airlines will not allow dry ice and if you have ice in the pack it has to be contained (freezer blocks). We have even packed frozen backstraps in our clothing bag (in vac-pacs) for short trips, under 3 hours or there-abouts. Contact the airlines and get the rules for excess baggage and weights and spend some time working out your plan.

Top Bottom