Need help building a Remington 30-06

CATCH

Reaction score
I was given a stock and barrel for a remington 30-06 and I would like to build out this gun. Does anyone have some suggestions on where I can buy the rest of the componets for this bolt action rifle and about how much it would cost? Is there any on-line place to buy or shop? Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to building and putting together this gun.

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
If you look around you could probably find a whole rifle for the price of a receiver at Brownells. Also, why did the donor remove the barrel in the first place ? Unless you REALLY want a project, I don't think that's the way to go.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
You would probably spend less money just buying a 700 SPS and having it pillar bedded and the trigger tuned up.
Projects are always fun. But.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
If it was a factory barrel and injection molded or wood stock - you didn't get much to start with. "Take off" barrels can usually be had for about $40 on a few websites, and IMO the stocks aren't worth the box they're shipped in, unless it's a abnormal chunk of wood, or of some vintage where the wood was nicer than today's factory wood.

"Donor actions" - older M-700 adl's usually, can be found for about $350 at many pawn shops across the country and on those same websites. Magnums and SS are usually about $100 more. That's your first step.

Next would be to "blueprint" your rifle - basically determine the parts and configuration you want to go into it's build: Barrel/cal/contour, trigger, special machining, stock, mounts/rings, and scope. This is best determined by what you're going to be using it for.

Then you need to decide if you want a smith to do the whole shebang, or just install the barrel and do any machining you need, and you assemble the rest for the best prices you can get.

Basically I priced out a custom barrel/chamber on my action from pac-nor, and then me doing the rest of the parts/build including a Remington TI stock at about $2000 ready to shoot.

Instead I assembled a "semi-custom" model 7 with special machining and other hot-rod parts for just over $1500. I saved about $500 by not getting a pac-nor tube onto an action. Time will tell if it shoots as well as an aftermarket barrel.

Hope this helps.

CATCH

Reaction score
I know I should have been more specific, and yes a barrel and stock does'nt give me much really to start with. I was really just more curious about where I could find an old or new Remington 30-06 action....I realize different models would cost more or less, I am not looking to make this gun anything truly special just a back to my back up. Just one more project to try and play with in the off season off course. I thinking about 300-400$ for an action? The wood stock is out some pretty wood that my dad stained and finished himself....which makes me want to finish this gun out for him if anything.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
You can find a whole rifle for $300-$400. Like I said, usually an ADL, and not in 100% condition.

Brownells has rem m-700 actions for around $350 for blue.

Top Bottom