Need Help deciding on a Leupold Scope.

Nickrp

Reaction score
So my wonderful wife is getting me a Remington 700 in 308 for Xmas and now i need to pick a scope. I am stuck between the Leupold VX-1 and the VX-2. Now this is my first rifle and it will be mainly for hunting and maybe a little bit of plinking/target shooting. My question is are the extra features work the extra 70-80 bucks for the VX2 over the VX1? Also, I read differing opinions on a 3x9 vs 4x12, whats the opinion here?

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
id go with 4-12 but the best glass u can afford i would go with the nikon pro staff over leupold vx1 and buy something that will lat a while buy quality mounts too

Nickrp

Reaction score
id go with 4-12 but the best glass u can afford i would go with the nikon pro staff over leupold vx1 and buy something that will lat a while buy quality mounts too
Any reason to go with the Nikon over Leupold? the reviews i have read put leupold ahead of nikon, is there an advantage of the nikon im missing?

thewolfman

Reaction score
I got a 3x9 Leupold on my 06 rem 700....had it almost 10 yrs now...I say if u can afford it...buy it...if not...just the matte 3x9 will work...Leupold is worth every penny u spent...its lifetime warranty... my brother broke his...sent it in...got a new 1....I have a Nikon and Burris....good too...but if it breaks...that's it....I envy u my man....must be a great wife to be buying u a gun...bonus there haha..

My 2 pennies....its worth your hard earned money if u buy the Leupold... the lower or higher model...either 1 works freat

Nickrp

Reaction score
Lifetime warrenty was one of the big selling points of the Leupold. I guess my main question is are the extra bells an whistles worth the mon on the VX2 over the 1. I am a new shooter and I really dont anticipate fussing that much with the scope initially. But are they things im going to want later? And does anyone know if the glass itself is any different between the two?

Mel Carter

Reaction score
You can always try the new Redfields, they are made by Leupold and carry the same warranty. I have 2 of them and lovem, just my opinion.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
vortex has great warranty too but i am not fond of the vx1s just kind of overpriced in my opinion but they have the good warranty or i would look at the 2.5-8 vx3 with 36mm objective great lightweight scope still cheap

freezer

Reaction score
I would choose the Leupold VXII. It has better optics and better low light transmission. Do it once do it right. All my hunting rifle wear Leupold VX II except my dedicated distance rifle that Has a VXL. My 308 is a Savage 99f lever gun and wears a 2x7. I've never felt I had too little scope power. If this is a combo short and long distance gun I'd stay 3x9, dedicated distance rifle, 4x12, Mid range (350yards) and weight is a factor 2x7x33. I prefer lower magnification for brush as it give me a wider field of vision. If your budget will allow Zeese, Swarski or Leupold VXIII are great options. You'll never regret buying quality.

catchdog

Reaction score
Vx2 has better glass than the Vx1 . Get the Vx2 it is worth the extra money . I have a Nikon prostaff 2 Leupold Vx1's and a Vx2 . I rate the Nikon prostaff and the Vx1 the same except Leupold has a better warranty . 3 x 9 is plenty for large game out to 350 - 400 yards for me . But some really like the 12 power . My prostaff is a 2x7x32 . My friend has a prostaff that is 3x9x40 and it is a good scope for the cash and some times you can get some very good deals on them . Check opticsplanet.com and swfa.com .

eoats

Reaction score
I got the Leupold 'Rifleman' for my Vanguard;
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-rifleman-3-9x40mm-rifle-scope.html

Nice clean reticle with just 2 dots for 300 & 500 yards when zero'd at 200. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't feel the need for for too many lines that I have to count & calculate - that & I expect I'll never be taking game outside 300 yards.
I got mine from a local shop about a year ago & can't imagine a better value even at $30 more.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
look at the zeiss terra cheaper than the avg zeiss and lots of quality great warranty almost as good as leupolds(just not as quick because their in GERMANY)

carhex

Reaction score
Do they still have the same warranty if you buy them used spied some on ebay for 180

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
yup!!! i bought 2 leupold scopes that looked like someone ether shot or shoved a screwdriver threw for 50 bucks!!! a vx3 and a vx3l sent them in boom brand new scopes!!!

Top Bottom